Marlins new .44 Mag Guide Gun-Your thoughts?

HARDBALL

Dear Patriots,
I am new to this site. I am interested in your thoughts on the new Marlin 1894 lever action .44 Mag. I have yet to see this rifle personally,however reading from the Marlin info.sheet and pix.,it sounds like a winner! Not that I really need it,but I think it may be a handy dandy truck gun, back woods,brush buster deer and bear gun ,etc. What makes it so attractive to me is the fact that this little rifle weighs only 5 3/4 lbs. , has a 16 1/4" ported barrel and holds "eight" rounds of .44 Mag At a bit over 33 inches in overall lenght,it is four and a half inches shorter than "shortest" Remington Model Seven and one half pound lighter!
Now I realize that these are two completely different types of arms,nevertheless,the .44 Mag in this handy size,may have some tactical applications. i.e. It could be used for home defense with out as much concern of high power rounds,not that the .44 mag isn't powerful,but just compared to say a .308
Anyway,I ramble... Thanks for listening,I would like your thoughts.

I've always liked the original Marlin 1894, and it sounds to me like they just made a good thing better. Our 1894 (20" barrel) scoped out at 6 3/4 lbs and was a joy to carry. It is as easy to point as your finger and is more than adequate for bambi out to 100-125 yards.

My dad reached the age (and I'm almost there) where you realize that carrying shoulder cannons around just ruins a nice walk in the woods. I think it is best described as a starter gun that you easily grow back into.

I dunno about the 16" ported barrel, but the 44 out of the 20" barrel is about as "polite" as a rifle can get. It doesn't scare the milk out of the farmer's cows the way my 18" barrel 308 does, something that is more imortant with todays increasingly urbanized hunting grounds.

Tom

Dear Tom,
Thanks for your thoughts on this Marlin.
I to have reached the age where despite me being 6'3" and 245 lbs.,I just don't like to carry heavy arms. I never did. Like you said,kinda ruins a nice walk/stalk through the woods. In fact,even my 20" Remington 700 gets a little hung up in this thick woods of Maine. Like I said,not that I really need it,just that I want it. Yea,should be sweet to carry,yet plenty enough to handle a Bear encounter,which here in Maine is a real possible! Thanks again for your feedback.
HARDBALL

I sholdered one of those a couple weeks back. It was pretty impressive in a cute little minature sort of way. I'd probably change the sights as the stock set up did not do much for me. The gun is very small and non intimidating. With light weight loads is would be a great gun for teaching newbies and kids.

I have a buddy with one, with a set a Ashley Ghostring sights on the front. I have a serious case of weapon-envy. It is one of the easiest-pointing weapons I have held in a while. He actually prefers it to his AR-15. I like it because: 1) it is light, short, and points well; 2) it is hard hitting (the CorBon 165gr .44mag load is great for the 16" barrel) and it holds 9+1; 3) it doesn't scream "assault rifle" to the non-initiated. It screams "harmless 'cowboy-gun'"

I want one, I want one...

[This message has been edited by ScottS (edited May 26, 2000).]

Scott, gotta ask you...whats wrong with having a rifle that screams "Assault Rifle!"? I am considering buying a AK just for that purpose. :)

Marlin levers have a reputation for being great. Personally, I think the 1894P is perfect. I wanted one, but never got one. It's a great chambering, great weight, and great size. Perfect.

Hueco

Hueco,

Nothing against "assault rifles." I have an AR-15 for that purpose. I just like the thought of having something that can reach out and hit hard out to about 150 yards that I can discreetly bring along while backpacking, or put into the back of my truck without attracting too much attention. I think the 1894P is perfect for that purpose.

Scott

Scott brings up an important point about lever guns: they are, for most purposes, as useful as "assault rifles," without the negative reputation.

I found the little 1894P to be utterly charming and bought one about a month ago. I would prefer it without the porting, but the porting seems fairly benign. Of course it has the ridiculous cross-bolt safety, but that is easily ignored.

It appears to handle cast bullets okay (I sold a Winchester .44 "trapper" because it wouldn't shoot lead). I put a little nylon carry strap and a set of Ashley ghost ring sights on it and it is delightful. I may have the crew at Sparks make me a butt-cuff for it, but the buttstock's wood is rather pretty and it seems a shame to cover it up.

My particular piece seems happier with truncated-cone bullets rather than SWC's. The SWC's shoulders sometimes hang slightly on the edge of the chamber. They generally chamber, but they cause a glitch in the otherwise smooth action cycling.

Nice gun.

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited May 26, 2000).]

Back