Marlin's 45/70 offerings

Hueco

What are the differences in performance of the 1895SS and 1895G. There must be some due to the barrel lengths differing. Are they both good rifles? Can they handle hot ammo, or should I plan to stick with factory-loaded ammo if I purchase one? Also, any general thoughts on these two rifles (or alternatives) would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Hueco

[This message has been edited by Hueco (edited January 04, 2000).]

Hot 45-70 loads in a light weight Marlin? I can't say for sure, but I suspect the Marlin will hold up better than your shoulder. The only thing I've fired that hurt worse than that was a .460 Weatherby. On the other hand it was still loads of fun! :)

Hueco,

The difference between the 1895SS and the 1895G is that the G model has an 18.5-inch ported barrel, and comes with a straighter stock. The 1895SS comes with a 22-inch barrel. Other than that, they are the same. Also, there are no strength differences. Which one to choose depends mostly on what it will be used for. If the gun will be used as a hunting rifle, I would recommend the longer barreled gun, but if the gun will be used strictly for close-quarter defense from dangerous game, I would recommend the shorter Guide Gun. Recoil of the two is similar, perhaps a little lighter with the Guide Gun due to the barrel porting. The longer barrel will give you a little higher velocity, usually about 60-fps higher. They are both fine guns and, with proper ammunition, are fully capable of handling anything that walks.

Best regards, Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com

The guide gun has a 181/2'" ported barrel with a rubber absorber. Some loss of velocity, but very nice to shoot considering the power of the round. Course, depends on bullet wt. and powder load.

Back