Marlin1894C With Skinner Sights

Mr.RevolverGuy

My urban discreet little power house -- I absolutely love it.
DSCN0351.jpg

DSCN0352.jpg

DSCN0354.jpg

Most who have seen and used the Skinner sights are big fans that they usually order a set like my best friend did for his Marlin Golden 39AS.
DSCN0311.jpg

Full Review Here Drop by and leave a comment let me know what you think.

I am in no way affiliated with Skinner just a very satisfied customer.

Last edited:
Hi,

Nice gun and nice post! Did the fitting of these sights improve it in terms of accuracy, or was it more of a target acquisition thing?

Regards John

Let's say I feel like it improved accuracy and I say feel because I only shot those two groups standing. What I can say the groups were cut in half compared to previously, but was it a fluke or was I just really on my game? The lever action is so fun to shoot and I will continue to shoot to test for accuracy and will possibly get it out on the bench rest and see what it will truly do and post a follow up.

Great. I have a Marlin in .44 with really nice walnut furniture. I have a set of peel hole sights but have never fitted them. I have just used the basic sights that came with it, which I have learned to use ( i.e., I got over them!). I have hit targets at 100 & 200 yards and scared them at 300 yards, which is what I would like to perfect next. I find the basic sights slower than others in picking up the target, but have still had some good results though.

I put a Skinner rear sight on my 1894c as well. I got the "winged" style, because it is slightly lower (could still use the original front sight with it) and I thought the wings might keep the peep from getting bumped or snagged.

Truth be told, I never warmed up to it. I even tried a couple different aperture sizes and different front sights, but it just didn't seem to agree with my eyes. I've got a Tech-Sight peep on my Ruger 10/22, and have a Williams receiver peep sight on a single shot rifle, and I like both of them better than the Skinner receiver sight for whatever reason.

Having said that, I ultimately put an ultra-light Leupold 2.5x20 scope on the Marlin, but still wanted decent barrel-mounted sights for times I wanted to remove the scope. I got Skinner's barrel mounted aperture, and I like that really well. I know that having the rear sight closer to your eye should be better, but the barrel-mounted aperture just seems better for my vision.

I have also noticed that, although blued, my Skinner sight (both the receiver and barrel type) will develop rust pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Yes it is a different size. But that is just the way I have mine setup. On the rifle one small aperture for target and one large for hunting for increased field of view. You can set yours up any way you like.

the dove tail filler with the extra size aperture is a really great idea...

I'm always looking for a way to keep back up parts actually on the gun...

As I've gotten older the sights I can use depend on how far gone my eyesight has become. Peeps no longer work for me, but the "last gasp" that still does work for me in irons is a marbles rear double ghost paired win a Williams front fire sight.

attachment.php

Back