Marlin XL7

BigMikey76

My quest for my first game rifle continues, but I think I might have a winner. I found a new Marlin XL7 in .25-06 for $270. The caliber is a little lighter than I was originally wanting, but at that price, it leaves some money to possibly justify buying a second rifle in the reasonably near future:D

My question is whether anyone has first hand experience with this model rifle. I have found a few reviews, but I have learned not to take them at face value. The one thing that caught me by surprise is that in all the commentary I have seen, this rifle is compared to the lower end of the Savage 11/111 line, but the price I found is below what I usually see for the Axis.

Should I be wary, or should i jump on this before it disappears?

XL7

That's a very good price....I see that the XL7 and XS7 keep rising in price....I've got the XS7 in 308 and XL7 in 270, both blue....couldn't be happier....

They're great rifles.
My XL7 in .30-06 is now expected to shoot 1/2 MOA or better, since it has done so every time I've taken it out. ;)

If you like it, jump.

(And then send me a PM, if you're interested in the Boyds XL7 pepper laminate stock I have. It'll add some weight to the rifle for you. It's brand new. I fired less than 20 rounds in that stock, before I decided to go light weight with my XL7.)

I have the XL and XS series rifles in 7mm-08, 25-06, 270, and 30-06 calibers and am very pleased with all of them. Never had any malfunctions or breakage with any of them and they are all shooters. I have put Boyd's laminate stocks on several of them just for cosmetic reasons and it really spruced up the appearance of these rifles. The only complaint I have with the Marlin X series is that the bolt cannot be locked closed. This is only a slight impediment with me and it doesn't concern me that much, I'm just more careful and concious of this feature when I have the rifle slung over my back or shoulder. I recommend these rifles highly.

I have the XS7 (short action) in .243 and I love it. With handloads I can shoot cloverleafs all day long. I didn't like the stock, so I picked up a Boyds thumbhole, which really helped freefloat the barrel. I don't think you could go wrong - especially for the price.

I have one in .270 in Camo. Great adjustable 2 stage trigger, sub MOA, with a clearance Nitrex TR1 3x9x42 scope I got the whole rig for under $500. Killed my first deer at 150 last week and placed the shot exactly where I pointed. What's not to like? My only complaint is the magazine doesn't like to have 4 rounds in it without fiddling. Runs 3 just fine. Maybe a good cleaning and inspection will take care of it. My rifle was also missing the sling swivel on the stock. A minor QC problem. I would still recommend one to anyone.

Thanks fellas. I am working with my LGS to get it ordered, and should be able to finalize everything in a couple of weeks (darn financial responsibility getting in the way of my fun purchases:mad:). I will put up some photos when I get it.

Back