Marlin XL7

roc1

I recently purchased a NIB Marlin XL7 in 270 Winchester for $305 at my local shop. I had an old Simmons Japan made 44mag scope and rings I stuck on it. This gun shoots great. I was looking at another Remington 700, in fact I compared two side by side. The Remmy was the ADL version same blind mag as the Marlin. The Marlin action was way smoother and has the Savage type trigger on it.This gun shoots as good as any Remmy I have owned. The recoil is not bad at all even though it ways only 6 1/2 lbs before scoped.I expected a lot worse kick.This rifle shot one 3 shot group under .3 inches with this cheap scope and factory Wallyworld ammo. I am truly impressed. I read since them and Remington have the same corporate owners, Remington is in on the making of this gun.Who knows. I would post pics if I knew how.Just thought I would share how good this little rifle is, I will sell one of my others now this gun shoots better and cost a lot less.
roc1

Many others are finding out what you have just found out concerning Marlin's XL7 rifles. I've got 2 of them myself and plan to get more. This rifle series should be named "the best rifle buy of the year". They are right up there with the Tikka's in regards to accuracy, smooth bolt action, awesome adjustable trigger, and appearance. I might mention that they also are very economical and can be bought in the $275 to $400 range, depending on model.

I have a T3 lite and 2 marlins xl7. I will take the Tikka over the marlins any day, but I am not saying the Marlins are bad. I have 1 in 2506 and 1 in 308 and both have outstanding accuracy out of the box. I think they are great rifles for the money, I just like the Tikka better.

I also like the Tikka better but I was comparing what you get for the money spent between the 2 rifles. The Tikka's cost more than the Marlins because I think they are a little better in design and construction than the Marlins, but I definitely believe you get your monies worth out of the Marlin's. Comparing the two, my Marlins are just as accurate as the Tikka's, and the bolt is naturally smoother on my Tikka's, but not by much. I like the box magazine feature on the Tikka and I wish Marlin had incorporated this feature on their rifles. Stocks are about the same between the two. Tikka's come with scope rings while the Marlin's instead come with scope bases. Both have very good adjustable triggers that very seldom ever need adjusting right out of the box.
One good feature concerning the Marlin's is that they can be had with laminated stocks, either from Marlin or aftermarket from Boyd's. Laminated stocks aren't imported for Tikka's by Beretta for whatever reason and I don't know of any aftermarket sources at this time. To cap what I was trying to convey in my previos post, whichever rifle you choose, the Tikka or Marlin,
you definitely get your monies worth. Whenever I go deer hunting it's always a hard decision on my part as to what rifle to take, a Tikka or Marlin in either 270, 30-06, or 7mm-08 caliber, as I have both in these calibers.

I have the Marlin XL7 (30-06) and XS7 (7mm-08) and they're good value rifles. I don't think they're the best bang for the buck (I reserve that position for the T/C Venture, .270).

The Marlin XL7 provides me with good hunting accuracy (~2 MOA) at 100 yards with factory load and better with handloads (sub 1 MOA). There are some rough spots on the stock and it doesn't feel as balance as the Venture for me.

If I do it all over again, I would only get the XS7 in 7mm-08 because of the short action, lighter in weight, and less recoil. I would save my money on the XL7 and get the 30-06 Venture.

But then if you can get an XL7 for less than $300, it would be a very hard decision.

Back