Marlin XL7 semi range report. 1 issue.

baddarryl

Sighted in my brand new virgin .270 today. Once sighted in was able to do less than 1" groups at 100 yards with 130 Hornady SST's. Federal Fusion were at about 1 1/4. Very nice trigger. The issue I had was the magazine didn't like to have 4 rounds in it. On putting a 4th round in they would seem to drop too far or mis aligned so the bolt couldn't pick the round up. Anyone else have this happen or know what is up? I completely disassembled and cleaned the rifle before firing it. Happened with both types of ammo. When loaded with 3 in the mag the action cycled through the rounds just fine. Certainly seemed I had to have the right feel to load it right though. Anyone else have this? Thanks.

Last edited:
Update

Well I pulled it out this morning and was able to get 4 in the mag repeatedly without issue and the bolt would pick up the round no problem. I think being a brand new rifle just trying to get the feel right and in the heat of the sun may have been the issue. I have left the mag loaded safely without one in the chamber so hopefully it will loosen up a little. When I say safely I mean in the safe and with a trigger lock with a note saying 'loaded'.

Overall very pleased with this rifle especially since including the Nitrex TR One 3x9x42 scope after rebates and all I have less then $500 bucks in it. I could have spent more to get something that didn't shoot any better. The real tree Camo looks great too. Bambi here I come!

Back