Marlin vs Rossi

trvlnsgt

Inactive
I'm looking at getting a lever action in 357 cal. Marlin would be my first choice but I'm not hearing a lot of love right now for what some are calling the Remlin. I know the used market would be the way to go, but I'm left handed and finding a used left handed long gun of most any type can be difficult. Having said that, what do you all think of the new Rossi 92, either 16" or 20"? Or other suggestions? At this point I am open to all ideas and opinions. Thanks.

I have Rossi's in 45LC and 357 (older models pre lock interarms guns) and have not had any problems with them. I have heard that this guy is the go to guy for all things Rossi 92 http://www.stevesgunz.com/ He also sells guns already worked on and may be able to set you up with something.

Rossi and Marlin make quality leverguns in .357 magnum.

My Rossi 92 in .357 magnum is as smooth as butter and very accurate.

I had a Marlin 1894 Stainless in .44 magnum. Tended to bind up quite a bit. Perhaps the .357 does better.

Rossi - had them since 1980, all of them pre-lock (<06 EMF and 80s Interarms) like previous poster.

Rossi M92

I have an older Rossi as well.I have had it for about 20 years now.It is a great little rifle with good fit and nice dark wood.It will hang up alittle with 38s depending on their OAL from time to time but has never given any trouble with 357s.
Recently I have been working with cast boolits in it and I have to say it much prefers a heavier boolit.A 125gr is okay to plink with but for accuraccy it needs a heavy.

I have a JM Marlin in 45 Colt and it's a workhorse -- eats anything from SWCs to heavy (340gr) flat points over full (full) loads of H110/296/V-N110 and smiles...

I picked up Rossi's better Italian cousin in a Chiappa `92 Winchester in 357 about six weeks ago that is beautifully-finished, had good ladder sights and as solid as a rock. It also eats pretty much anything over (full) loads of 110/296 and V-N110:

m8gwon.jpg

So I'd buy either one and be just as happy, and it would be a Spohie's choice to give up one or the other.

Last edited:
As a closing note, this is why the `92Win design in 357Mag is a winner even w/ cast lead, and why
I really like Vihtavuori N-110 for that role. H110/W296 might be a tad faster, but nothing touches
V-N110 in either the 357 or 45Colt rifles for putting the total package on the line.

2l9jbb.jpg

NOTE: MBC's relatively longer OAL of 1.613" means I have more
powder space -- which QuickLoad uses to permit the N110 load
shown above. Do NOT use this load w/ a shorter OAL.

Last edited:
I own a marlin .44 magnum lever action and love the gun, I have also shot a Rossi that my dad owns and it shoots great. They are both great guns, my suggestion is buy the one that fits you better.

Rossi hands down because the Rossi's look more like the classic Win '92, have a stronger, smoother action, and are easy to slick up with an action/trigger job with Steve Young's kit and DVD HERE. Also, they were used extensively by the Duke in his movies in lieu of the more expensive Win '92s and held up very well. Both my 357mag rifle and carbine are a ton of fun to shoot and accompany me to the range almost every time. In addition, with 158grn Zero JSP bullets and a healthy dose of H110, my rifle is accurate enough to shoot bowling pins out at 300yds and clay pigeons out at 200yds with just the tang and globe sight pictured below. I've even shot at steel plates out at 500yds with the rifle and remember, that's using a blunt nose pistol bullet.

My carbine sights limit me to 8" plates at 175yds but that's only because of my old eyes rather than the carbine's accuracy as my son has gone after the bowling pins at 300yds with it too. Further, handloading 357mag is cheaper than buying 22mag ammo and you can load them from lowly mouse fart 125grn rounds all the way up to 200grn hunting screamers! Truly an amazing caliber that comes alive in a levergun.

DSCN2840.jpg

DSCN2830.jpg

Back