Marlin trigger?

saudst

I have a late 40s early 50s Marlin 336 and the trigger pull is very heavy. What can be done about this. What kind of pull would you expect by taking it to a gunsmith. Can it be helped much? Thank you, Tim.

Oh yes, 336s can be made vary nice. It is a simple sear notch and sear nose. All that is necessary to do is to make sure the full cock notch notch is not hooked and polish the sear with a very slight (VERY) radius.
I have set many of them to break crisply at 2.5 pounds,

Marlin triggers are a "classic" trigger (for want of a better word), they can easily be reworked to give very light rigger pulls. I did one last year for a cast bullet target rifle built on a 336, it turned out at 2 lbs. A good smith should be able to clean up your trigger and give you a safe 3 lbs - 3 1/2 lbs trigger for hunting.

It is a 2-piece trigger, which can be worked quite easily to have better pull. The sear spring also powers the finger lever safety. That spring also affect the pull weight.

However one really needs to know what to look for in a safe trigger mechanism before start working on triggers. It is the last gate of the "oh sh?t". Take it to a competent smith if you have any doubt.

-TL

Back