Marlin rifles question

02bigdogs17

What year did Remington start manufacturing Marlin rifles? And how can I tell what year a Marlin 1894 lever action rifle is if I go look at some used ones? Thanks.

Remlins started production this year or late last year I believe. I know of no way to date a Marlin short of calling them with the serial number and asking.

To determine a Marlin levergun's DOM (if the SN doesn't have a letter prefix), just:

* Subtract the first two digits from 2000 for guns made before Y2K, as in SN23578xxxx equals 2000 - 23 = 1977.

OR if that doesn't work,

* Subtract the first two digits from 2100 for guns made after Y2K, as in SN 97815xxxx equals 2100 - 97 = 2003.

Letter prefixed SN's started with an "C" prefix in 1946 to "Z" in 1964, then "AA" in 1965, "BB" in '66, "AC" in '67, and then "AD" & "68" in '68.
1969-72 used the year as a prefix before going to the subtraction system above.

Remington acquired Marlin Firearms in 2007. Anything after that is Remington manufactured. You can tell buy looking at the proof mark on the barrel. A Marlin manufactured rifle will have a JM stamped in the left side of the barrel near the receiver. A Remington manufactured rifle will have an REP proof mark in the right side of the barrel. A gun with out this proof mark was most likely re-barreled as the proof mark was only applied at the factory after the complete rifle was test fired.

Marlin continued producing their line of rifles (even if owned by Remington), until production started transitioning in 2008. The North Haven plant closed its doors in June 2011. Anything produced between those dates would have to be taken on a per-model basis, to figure out where it was produced.

PetahW's date codes will tell you what you need to know, as far as production date.

Last edited:
Back