Marlin, Remington, Winchester, Browning, Ruger?

DeltaCypher0

Inactive
I'm still having a lot of indecision picking a new .22 to purchase. How do people feel about these companies? I've stated before that I want to buy an American company, but it seems they are sub par to the specifications and standards I desire. I'm looking for a bolt action .22 rifle with a wooden stock and one that comes with iron sights mounted from the factory. It needs to be reliable, very accurate, and I'd like to keep it under $600.

Just go buy whichever one feels good to you. They are all good guns. Some might shoot a touch better than others, but they are all well made and if you miss a rabbit at 75 yards, its your fault, not the rifle's.

Rifles are not lasers, as much as we would all like them to be. They are mechanical devices and all have limitations. If you want a stupidly accurate gun, buy a savage .17 and be done with it. It have a longer range and more accuracy than any .22 anywhere.

Last edited:
It is a global market now.

The money goes to the stock holders, wherever they may declare recidency.

Sent from HenseMod6.

I own a tack driving Henry levergun. Their bolt guns should be equally accurate.

Savage has always had a stellular reputation for accurasy.

Jack

CZ. Great bang for the buck, nice quality, and accuracy. The Czechs are more American than the American workers are now

I prefer OLDER Marlins...nice wood stocks :)
and Boyd's sells Walnut replacements if you find one that's beat to heck ;)

Although the new Marlin XT22 has a grey laminate version on the Stainless model that ain't bad ;)

Pilot is right--many are good, I've owned the Remington, two Savages, a shooting buddie has Marlins and Winchesters, but none of them outshoot the CZ's---I've had three CZ .22's, great wood, well made, nice metal finish, decent triggers and every one deadly accurate---for value for the money, they are the best---and I believe all the CZ .22's are under $500 from Bud's-

The imported Remington seems nice at first glance, but my buddy had some extraction problems with his. Accuracy is pretty good, but not stellar. The bolt seems tiny.

Ruger 77-22s are fine-looking/handling sporter rifles, though they won't break any accuracy records. CZs and 10-22Ts often outshoot them.

Marlins used to be excellent shooters, but recent takeovers have hurt quality control to the point that my conscience won't let me recommend them.

Brownings are fine rifles, though like most factory rifles, triggers may need work to smooth and lighten.
--------------------------------
Savage also makes some good-looking, good shooting .22LRs, but magazines are reported to be rough.

CZ is usually a good rifle, though price is higher than I like to pay. Though some CZs are more accurate, expect 3/4" groups at 50 yards with standard velocity ammo.

CZ. Great bang for the buck, nice quality, and accuracy.

I'll echo this comment. Yes, not American made, but an excellent selection of 13 rifles, starting with a youth gun all the way to the Mannlicher stocked 455 FS, the 452 Special Military and the Manners stocked CZ 455 Precision Trainer.

Cheers,
C

Other than not being a American made rifle the CZ 452/455 rifle best fits your stated needs nothing else comes close. The iron sights on a CZ 452 are superior to iron sights on any other production rifle I know of, Rimfire or centerfire. By the way Savage rifles are made in Lakefield, Ontario.

I would avoid all new Marlins, aka Remlins. I was over at a gun store yesterday and took a look at a new Marlin 45-70 and was appalled at the horrible action and cheap looking wood stock. I own two Marlins that are great quality guns, my .444 and an 1894c .357.

On the other hand, I have a Henry .22 LR that shoots nice groups. Can't go wrong with a Henry. BTW, I also saw a new Henry 30-30 that looks really neat. The other gun makers are looking at the Marlin quality and apparently thinking correctly that they compete in that area now. Stay away from Remlins and look at other makes.

I own Ruger, Browning and Henry in .22LR (rifle & pistols)
Own Marlin, Mossberg, Kel-Tec, Tikka and more Rugers in rifles. So, I say get them all. :p :D
All good.

Lateck,

Back