Marlin Papoose .22

Yellowdog

Inactive
I'm thinking of buying a Marlin Papoose as a plinker and pack gun. I'd want to mount a scope on it but I've heard that every time you break the rifle down (i.e. take the barrel off) the zero shifts when you put the barrel back on and you have to sight it in again. Can anyone verify if this is true?

The scoe problem sounds likely based on the design...but I also found the one I borrowed very unreliable...jammed a lot, magazines would get knocked out of the gun by the bolt, trigger was lousy and accuracy overall atrocious. I'd take a pistol over a Papoose myself...

I've shot a papoose a number of times, although never owned one. I expearianced no problem with it, but that was just with the copies I had access to.
I believe the papoose is an underated arm with much potential. Very usefull,very adaptable. I propose some nice mods.
1)Mount the scope on the barrel, eliminating the zeroing problem.
2)Add a cheek rest.
3)Put some kind of shroud, sleeve, or well, around the magazine to prevent it being knocked about while in use.
4)Enlarge the bolt handle, making it more ergonomical and capable of serving as a "forward assist".
A lot of potential I say gentlemen.

I've never had a problem with mine. Bought it used around 10 years ago. The only ammo it hasn't reliably fed was Aguila sub-sonic.

cdf
If you do all of the modifications that you propose you might as well get the standard Model 70 from Marlin (the non-takedown version). The Model 70P (Papoose) has a semi-fitted softcase that supposedly floats. The changes you propose would negate the size advantage of the takedown model.

Not realy. A small magazine sleeve isn't that massive, neither is a cheek rest. And the mods do not interfere with the take-down ability wich is why the weapon is usefull.

I have a Papoose and it has never jammed. I have only shot WW 40gr thru it. After I got the cheap simmons zeroed it has stayed zeroed.I can recommend it.

My papoose is very reliable as long as it is reasonably clean. It is very accurate offhand on tincans at 40 yards with iron sights. Don't bother with a scope. The point of impact will change every time you reassemble the rifle.

My Papoose is a nice rifle. A very nice "travel" or camping gun. There *are* some hicap mags out there for it, but the standard size mags are very handy. You can fit several in a shirt pocket.

View

[This message has been edited by amalgam (edited December 20, 1999).]

Why would the scope zero shift, but not the iron sights if the rear sight is receiver mounted?
How does accuracy compare to an untuned basic Ruger 10/22? I'm trying to decide between these two rifles. Has anyone compared these on a benchrest? Accuracy is not my sole consideration, but it is "interesting".

------------------

I THINK that the reason the zero might shift when using a scope is because of incremental differences in the receiver/barrel hookup each time it is reattached. Perhaps the reason why the iron sights stay zeroed is because both the front and rear sight are mounted on the barrel. But, since I've never shot a scoped papoose I can't confirm if this is correct.

Amalgam,
My rifle is different than yours. From the picture that you posted, your stock looks like wood and the barrel looks blued. My stock is polymer and the barrel is stainless steel. How old is yours? I just got mine. The catalog says nothing about a wood stock or a blue barrel on a Papoose. Just curious.

Thanks,
Will

BTT,
I thought I'd keep this thread alive. I like my new Papoose. I'd like to hear more experiences with the little rifle. I like my AR, but the Papoose fits behind the seat of my truck, or in the trunk of my Honda Pacific Coast.

Will

I own both an AR-7 and a papoose. I also own a 10-22, I like the papoose the best for its portability and ease of shooting. In six years of use I have never noticed a serious departure from zero caused by set up and tear down. After four years and what seems like a million rounds it started to jam, so I sent it to Marlin and they fixed and returned it all fee of cost and its worked great since.

A good rifle and a good company to trade with.

I took my new Papoose to the range today so I would have something to do while my wife practiced for her CCW. (She's good!) The little Papoose functioned flawlessly. It's a very accurate little rifle.

Will

Back