Marlin or Winchester?

• Thread starter Thread starter freedomlover
  • Start date Start date
F

freedomlover

Decided my next toy is going to be either a Winchester 94 Trapper or Marlin 1894S, chambered in .44 Mag. The Marlin is about $10 higher than the Winchester, but I've been told it's a stronger gun and well worth the extra $$. I'm leaning toward the Marlin but haven't decided yet. I've never owned a Marlin or Winchester before so I don't really have any brand loyalty, I just want the best rifle for the money. Opinions, anybody?

Sic semper tyrannis

freedomlover

I've always really preferred the look of the Winchester, but - having shot a bunch of both types- the Marlin has a much smoother action that, frankly, I've always found to be more accurate. I've got to agree with Path. I've bought a number of Winchesters over the years, but the only lever guns I still own are the Marlins.

well i have a recently bought the winchester 94 and like the fit an finish, it is an older model so the lever is a little loose compared to the new ones. i looked at the marlin it all looked pretty close, the marlin has a special barrel process that does help accuracy but if you shoot lead bullets most say it will quickly gunk up the barrel and is a real pain to clean. i just liked the feel of the win 94 and lever action slightly better, only time will tell for me, but i bet you want go wrong with either, mine is a 30-30

I' myself, prefer the Winchesters. Truthfully, handle them both and pick the one that just feels better to you.

I bought a new Marlin .444P just before christmas and I love it. The action is just about broke in now and its really smoothing up for me. I've had Winchesters in 30/30 and .357 but they just seem to be cheaper built.

I like the Marlins. You can have a regular scope mount and it ejects to the side and not back into your face (happened once to me- never again! One hit me in the face and another went down my shirt! I stopped shooting it after the second shot. 30-30 get HOT!)

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Back