Marlin or Remington .22 semi-auto?

Cliff

I'm going to be buying a .22 semi-auto rifle in the near future and have narrowed the choices down to the Marlin Model 60 or the Remington Model 552.

The Marlin is cheaper and I would most likely choose it IF I had not once owned a Remington Model 572 when I was a kid. A friend of mine had the model 552. We spent a lot of time shooting together, and I remember that both of our rifles functioned flawlessly and were pretty darned accurate.

Those rifles were also manufactured over 35 years ago and I don't know if Remington still has that level of quality in their .22's.

Thoughts?

I really loved that 572 of mine. Sadly, it was stolen from my parents house when I was away at college in the early 70's. :mad:

Cliff

its hard to fight the urge to replace a family gun. Those memory guns are sad to loose.
I got a marlin 60ss for christmas. It has a Simmons silver 3-9 on it. At 50 yards i was printing 5 round groups right on top of each other. Easily kept them inside a quarter. Nice gun!

dZ

I own a Marlin Model 60. I am pleased with it. It seems to be as accurate as my brothers Ruger 10/22.

The only problem I have is it jams with low price ammo, such as Thunderbolts, however not a glitch with Stingers.

Hope this helped.

Sgt.K

Wow, both of my model 60's prefer low end ammo over the stingers. I have one that I have had for about 13 years and I love it.

i did notice that remington subsonics didn't cycle the action on my 60
i lubed it with clp
have to test them again

No question - Marlin.

I have a bolt action 81D and a lever action 39A. Love em both. They're both tack drivers.

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!

I got a Remington 597 myself. Value!! Very accurate and has nice features. I have a cheap 3-9 scope (B.S.A) and it will shoot as well as my 10/22 did. Eats all kind of ammo pretty much equally.

------------------
This brother is free. I'll be what I want to be.
From Steely Dan's "Deacon Blues"

Given that choice, go with the Remington. A little plinker I like better is the old Remington Nylon 66, which can still be found on used gun racks (forget the clone). They are getting a little old, but short of the railroad track, they are indestructible, and so light and fun to shoot.

Jim

Thanks for the replies, folks!

After lengthy pondering, I've decided on the Remington if nothing else than for sentimental reasons. For my wife, I'll buy the Marlin (synthetic stock / SS).

One can never have too many rifles. :)

Jim - I'm familiar with the Nylon 66. I'm old enough to remember when it was introduced. I seem to recall that an initial criticism was stock warping (of all things) and inconsistent accuracy. Never had a chance to verify first hand, so such claims may have been all smoke and myth.

Cliff

one thing I dont like about the Marlin is they have a really nastey triger pull. the gun smith I went to told me he oculd try to fix it but therer is a very hi chance of it recking the gun. even though it shot good I got rid of it because of the nastey triger.

Cliff, I have a Rem 552, bought it at a gun show about 10yrs ago. I bought it because of being able to shoot all .22 ammo. I can't get the accuracy that I would like(only 2 to 3in. at 50yds) but it will shoot and eject about anything. I especially like Rem. sub-sonics for squirrels. Once in awhile it shoots "full-auto" for 3 rounds, then jams or I expect it would mt the magazine in 1 sec. I have just got a used 10/22 and it seems to shoot very well inspite of a terrible trigger. A 1" target dot will completey cover 10 shots at 40yds, much better than the Rem.

Hi, Cliff,

The story about the Nylon 66 warping was started by Winchester, according to a Winchester salesman. When I told him flatly that I didn't believe it, he admitted that they were told to say that.

The 66's biggest problem was overcoming the bad taste created by the old Savage Tenite stocks, which filled the woods with pieces of plastic. When the Remington salesman told me about the new gun, I told him what I thought of plastic stocks. He took me outside, loaded a 66, ran his station wagon over it several times, then fired the whole mag without a bobble. Made a believer of me. They are not target guns, but they are pretty accurate, extremely reliable, and just plain fun.

Jim

The Marlin 60, definitely. I shot one of the remingtons one time, and was getting 3 inch groups out of a sighting vise. No thanks. My marlin, with a bushnell 3-9x yeilds dime sized groups, almost all the time. I can outshoot my dad on his anschutz with it. Much better accuracy than I'd imagined from a semi-auto.

~~~Mineralman

Back