Marlin No. 27 s

offshore44

Inactive
I'm looking into Grandpa's rifle. It has been in the family a long time. This is what I know about it from the stamping is:

Can anyone tell me anything about the cartridge, or the rifle?

Marlin No 27 S on upper tang
25-20 M on top of barrel just in front of receiver
Special Smokeless Steel on the off side of the barrel in front of receiver
Marlin Firearms Co New-Haven CT. USA
Four patent dates from Aug. 1890 to Nov 1904

It's a really nice little pump action with a receiver that resembles a lever action, a nice octagon barrel, exposed hammer.

The rifle comes apart with a lever / screw on one side and a thumb nut on the other.

I used to have a half-box of 25-20 around here someplace that is green and tan.

Grandpa used it for varmints and the occasional deer.

It's in pretty good shape for a working rifle.

Thanks a bunch in advance...

I don't know anything beyond the bare facts of its existence to tell you.
The Marlin 27S was made from 1910 til 1932 in calibers .25 rimfire, .25-20, and .32-20. The only one I ever saw being shot was used in Cowboy Action Shooting until the stages got longer than the 7 rounds its short magazine would hold.

There was a brisk debate on another board with people saying that .25-20 Marlin was different from .25-20 Winchester but I much doubt that. A green and tan ammo box is probably Remington brand.

There is a Marlin Collectors board and the longest thread on the 27S is at
http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1386&highlight=27s

Thanks Jim

Thanks Jim,
That's about what I know as well. I'll mosey on over and see what the other discussion has to offer...

25-20 marlin vs 25-20 win

Thay are one in the same,just different headstamps....there was "Single shot" 25-20,B.P. round,that became obsolete because of the 25-20 Marlin/win....there was a 25-35 win,and a 25-36 Marlin(different cartridges),and a 25-25 stevens long straight cart,that was replaced by the (25-21 Stevens) ....25 Cal was pretty popular at the turn of the century.BB 34 ...

BTW I have some 25-20 posted on Auctionarms.com

The only difference between the 25-20 Winchester and 25-20 Marlin was bullet weight (86 gr vs 87 gr) and bullet design (SJFP vs SJRN). Case dimensions are identical, and Winchester loaded the ammo for Marlin.

Back