Marlin model 80 dl

Soclosenotnear

I recently layed away a Marlin model 80 dl. I run a pawn shop for a living and recent had to cover a store one day that I don't normally work at. They had this rifle sitting on the wall on clearance, being that it had been there over six months.

I looked it over and read a little about it. The gun is in great shape for its age, with hardly a hint of surface rust; nothing a good cleaning wouldn't do away with. It has the sling mounts as it should have. The peep sight seemed to be complete and original.

My question is about this rear sight. Is it supposed to sit at a perfect right angle? This one seems to be leaning back a little. Like this _/_ instead of _|_ for lack of a better way to explain it. Just the part you look through is at this angle, and it may not be as drastic as my example. Is it normal for the peep sight to lean back slightly?

Also, anyone care to share there experiences owning one? Mine will hardly ever come out the safe, as I just thought it was a cool little rifle to have for the right price. i may take it out once a year, if that, but hope it's a fun and accurate enough .22.

I can't answer your question about the peep sight, my marlin 80 was passed down from my grandad and had leaf sights until I put a williams peep sight on it.

But I can tell you its a fun little rifle, and mine sees quite a lot of use, probably more than any other firearm I own. The replacement magazines I've found all required some minor filing to fit, but feed just fine.

I don't have a model 80 but the sight shouldn't be leaning any at all. Is it possible it could be bent?

I assume it was bent at some point. It won't be difficult to straighten out again, I just wanted to verify that it should be perfect 90°.

And that's great to hear that they're nice shooting rifles. These old Marlin DL rifles are very interesting. I'd love to find a model 81 DL to go with this 80 DL I'll soon be getting.

I picked my rifle up today. What do you think about the sight?

Also, was there supposed to be something here or was it blank for non-dl rear sights?

Yep it was common to remove the rear sight and install a peep sight. Looks like a well cared for piece, congrats on a nice addition.

That looks like a good buy.

The aperture looks bent or cross-threaded.
But if it works, it should be fine.

As mentioned, the elevation-adjustable rear sight was probably removed when the aperture sight was installed.

The peep sights came factory on the DL model bolt action marlins. That's why I was curious if it ever had the regular rear sight at all.

The diagram here seems to suggest there is a rear sight available.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...33379/Rifles-37333/80DL-39046.htm?results=100

I realize some times one diagram is used to cover several models but either way it shows the parts.

Marlin_80Series_schem.jpg

Back