Marlin model 42 pump shotgun

banjobart

I am buying a fair condition Marlin pump shotgun that looks just like a Winchester model 1897 with the exposed hammer. Will this be legal for a Cowboy Action Shooting match?

Howdy,

As Bullmoose says, yes, it's SASS legal. But, Marlin warns against shooting their old hammered pumps. The locking pin that holds the bolt in place can shear, and if that happens, the bolt comes straight out the back (where your face is). Now, Marlin may be covering their posterior with that warning, but these accidents have happened. If you do get the Marlin, have it checked out by a competent gunsmith who has experience with the Marlin pumps.

Bellicose Bill

I spent the entire afternoon taking the Marlin model 42 pump shotgun apart and cleaning it. There was only slight wear on a couple of small parts. I loaded up the gun with six shells and stood out back, aiming at the burn barrel. All six shells found the mark. I think that the gun is safe to shoot. There is a big lug on the bolt that should stop it from going through my forehead in the event of a meltdown.

I will only shoot light trap loads in this gun. Now, if I get anohter single action 357 the required gun foursome for CAS will be complete.

Back