Marlin model 1893

TINCANBANDIT

I have a new project to work on and I have some questions

Perhaps some experts out there can help me:

I have a gun that was made in or around 1916, it has the model 1893 designation (as opposed to the later model 93) and a "C" prefix on the serial number.
In addition it has what appears to be an import stamp from Century Arms International (CAI STABLVT).

Did Marlin send any model 1893s to Europe during WWI? Do I have a potential WWI surplus lever action?

quick update, I contacted Century, all they could tell me was that the gun was imported.

I am guessing that the gun came across the border from Canada, not Europe.

For the 1893s, the A-D serial prefixes ran sequentially with serial numbers from 0001-9999.
So there's no good way to date them, other than just guessing based on where the serial number falls in that range, and guessing when that would fall between 1916 and 1921.
I would say yours was probably made in 1918 or 1919.

The import markings are interesting. Could be from anywhere.

After further research we discovered the gun was made in 1905

Not with a 'C' prefix it wasn't...

Serial numbers were sequential, and are available through 1906...

There were no letter prefixes till years later than 1905...

I agree with Salmoneye.
Barring irrefutable evidence of a special serial number series being used prior to 1906, but remaining undocumented until now, I don't see that rifle being built in 1905.

A lot of people like to run with the claim made in a book (I can't remember the author at this time), that the change from stamping the upper tang "1893" to "93" was made in 1905; but hundreds of examples can be found to refute that claim.

Salmoneye owns one, himself.

Back