Marlin Model 15YN (youthmodel)?

Scratch

This is Marlin's singleshot .22lr youth model. Anyone have one of these? What do you think of it?
I think I want one, but have never seen one except on the internet.
Does anyone know how much they go for?
Thanks
Scratch

[This message has been edited by Scratch (edited February 19, 2000).]

I got one for my son (he's too big for it now) a few years ago. My eight year daughter will get it next.

It is definitely a childs size rifle. Shorter stock and barrel. Good little gun to learn on. Has the dove tail cuts to mount a scope if you want. I did not. They need to learn how to use open sights.

I paid about $160 for it. To watch how happy they are makes it worth it.

------------------
John
(formerly johnboy)

Marlin model 15YN
.22 bolt action single shot. Yes the reciever is grooved for a scope, but I also agree that kids need to learn open sights first. The shorter stock on the model 15YN can be replaced to a full size stock with no modifications. This is nice for when your child gets older. A stock can be purchased straight from Marlin for a decent price. I belive they are in the neighborhood of $35-$40. That's alot better than buying a whole new gun! These little guns are really good for beginners. In my area one can be purchased for closer to $130.00. But that will vary.
CJB

I am something of a Marlin bolt .22 fan, having started with one for Christmas almost 45 years ago now. The 15Y is just a kid-size single shot version of the same gun, and I think it is a sweetheart. When my kids were little good kids' starter rifles were almost extinct--I had to make up similar rifles. Now you just buy it. I have promised a friend of mine with 3 boys--all under 7 yet--that I will buy them a 15Y when he says the word. As for sights, I would definitely put on a decent set of aperture sights; easy to teach and plenty accurate. BTW, I think they will work for adults, too--you just have to crawl the stock, but it will work. Marlin deserves credit for making this little gun.

------------------

I'm considering the same thing for my 8-year-old.

I was in a shop not long ago, and was able to compare the Marlin 15YN to the Chipmunk. The Marlin seemed to be much higher quality, and more substantial than the Chipmunk. I figured the Marlin was the one. Now, just have to make sure my son is ready and interested.

Both of my boys learned on the 15Y. For a small 16" carbine the accuracy is downright scary. Someday I'd like to put that action into an adult sized stock and convert to mag feed. But, I'd have to find the parts used since it wouldn't be cost effective to buy them new.
Anyway, great little rifle and a real tack driver!

Jeff, I recently saw the chimpmunk. I was very disapointed. It seemed rather cheesy and cheap. It is also a very, very small rifle. It looked much smaller than the youth model that I already have.
Scratch

Dang, I just went to a gun show yesterday to price the 15YN (and the Marlin Camp Carbine .45ACP, didn't see any). Will purchase one soon to teach my niece, 6 (near 7), and nephew, 1, when the time comes. Prices ranged $125-$140. I think I'll buy it through a gun shop, though, as it wouldn't be handled as much as the ones at the show.

- Ron V.

15Y is certainly typical Marlin quality and accuracy (amazingly good). It is HEAVIER than the Chipmunk or Cricket but those models are, IMO, unsafe by design. That manual striker is bad news and could lead to accidental discharges. 15Y is sm-th I'd use myself...though would probably spring for a clip-fed model.

Scratch,
Just wanted to let you know that $130.00 from K-Mart is a good price. I dont think you will find one much cheaper!
CJB

Back