Marlin Micro-Groove Barrels & Cast Bullets??

JL Hunnicutt

I am considering a Marlin 1895SS(45.70)but am curious about the use of cast bullets in these guns. The rifle in question is used & is in 100% condition for $300.00. It was mfg. in 1987 according to Marlin(ran the serial number). Is this gun worthy of my consideration if I want to use cast bullets? I can't justify a new gun with the Ballard rifling at about twice this price. I have been told that one can size the bullets @ .459 and keep the vel. @ <1600 fps & obtain good results. Your help and comments are appreciated with respect to both the rifle deal and the bullet question. Thank you.

We have one of the older 1895's, but have only loaded jacketed bullets for it. However, in a .357 carbine, a .35 Remington, and a .41 magnum, we satisfied ourselves that Marlin Microgroove barrels WILL shoot lead bullets accurately if a few conditions are met. The bullet should be long and oversized for the caliber. It should be quite hard. And it should be loaded hot. No wimp loads. Works for us. slabsides

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

Microgrove barrels shoot better with full diameter bearing surface bullets. The key to making cast bullets work in the Marlin (or any gun) is to fit the bullet to the gun. We're talking about making a chamber cast to learn the exact diameter and if necessary, going to a custom mould maker to make one for your gun. The next step is to find the powder load which works best for that bullet. It's work work work but some find it rewarding.

(BTW, I'm learning that some black powder fanatics are obsessive about bullet fit and powder load).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I was concerned about how lead would shoot out of my Camp Carbine (that has the micro goove rifiling) in 45 ACP when I first got it because I shoot allot of lead, especially in 45 ACP.
I was pleasantly surprised when I found out how well it shoots the 200 SWC and 230 RNL. I know we are not talkign about the same velocities here but I thought I might add my $0.02

NJW in AZ

JL. I shoot nothing but cast lead in my early version of the (new model) Marlin. You know the one with the wicked curved buttplate.) Anyway, if you cast your bullet hard, and .002 oversize for the bore, you should have reasonably good results.
For example, your bore will probably slug out to .457 inch in diameter. Use a cast bullet .459 inch in diameter. Straight wheel weights have given me fairly good results, although my preferred alloy is 10 pounds of wheel weights and one pound of linotype. This gives a bit of tin to the alloy, which makes casting easier, and has a Brinnel (BHN) hardness of about 12 on the scale. If you heat treat that bullet, it will harden to around 20 to 24 BHN on the scale.
I find that either bullet will do arout 2 to 2.5 inches at 100 yards, and I don't shoot the lightest of loads.
Will Micro-Groove baqrrels shoot cast lead bullets well? Yes, but it will take a bit of experimentation in your rifle. There is a book out called FORTY YEARS WITH THE 45-70, by Paul Matthews. He has a chapter on using cast lead in the Marlin. Well worth the price and a darn good read.
Paul B.

Back