Marlin Mag Tube Screw Thread?

3Crows

Can anyone tell me the screw thread size for these:

I need to install a slightly longer screw to secure a WWG light holder for an upcoming trip. The supplied screw does not seem to be the correct thread and I do not want to cross thread the dovetail stud.

I have thread gauges but for the life of me cannot locate them at the moment.

Thank you in advance for any help.

J

Marlin screw

How soon do you need the info. If you can wait about a week I'll have access to my Brownells encyclopedia, but I'm 1500 miles from it now.

Mr. Kapusta, I am not in a particular hurry. Have a good trip and be safe and if it is not answered or figured out by then perhaps you can help me. Thanks.

J

Which version did the rifle originally have?
The type that's shorter but fully threaded?
Or the type that is threaded near the head, but has a smaller, smooth tip that protrudes through the magazine tube and engages a slot in the barrel?

And... How old is the rifle?
What is the exact model?
(Thread pitch changed for some models in the '90s.)

Thanks, this is a 2016 SBL. The screw goes into a stud that is dovetailed into the barrel. The magazine tube is full length. The rifle was bought for an Alaska trip which it served well for protection and will soon be going again. I have hunted it for a nice deer and a hog and it has a good bit of fun on steel.

The light mount is the WWG rail. The WEG rail screw that was supplied is longer as the original screw is not. But the thread is wrong. I need to get a longer screw if at all possible. If not I may have to go at it from the stud side. I do not want to cross thread in a screw just because I am lazy.

J

Have you tried contacting WWG? They may have the correct screw.

Yes, I wrote to them and no, apparently not since they did not answer back.

Not bashing WWG, nice products I enjoy, fine folks.

Franken Mauser, yes, that seems to be the consensus. But I see 6-40 and 6-48 but no 6-42, if that is the case then it must be a custom or specialty thread?

I may just call Marlin. The screw supplied will run in about half way before it binds. I suppose most people just cross the threads. Since the magazine is loaded with cigar size rounds of some considerable weight at full capacity and the SBL can recoil mightily, I just do not like the idea of a crossed thread installation and a charging griz and me needing a follow up and look down and my magazine tube is in the dirt.

There was just a story on the fake news program about a young fellow who had been bitten by a rattle snake while hiking, then the following year bitten and drug by a bear while camping and then this year bitten by a shark while surfing. Strange things do happen if there is opportunity.

Yes, I wrote to them
You might want to try picking up the phone and just calling them. Remember they are in a different time zone than you are.

Anchorage, AK store 907-344-4500

Las Vegas, NV store 702-798-4570

Ok, so, the problem is I work from 7 till 5 week days with very little time to make phone calls, thus my writing. So, okay, I called them and as I said before, fine folks with great products I enjoy. So, they think I may have gotten the wrong screw and they are sending me another, great support.

So, that still leaves the question, what is the thread size? I will eventually get to the answer, one way or another.

J

And the new screw is like the other, it is a finer thread and does not go in without cross threading. It appears to be a 6-48 thread. The original Marlin screw of course is shorter making counting threads difficult but it appears to be reasonable to say it is either 40 to 42 threads.

Last edited:
There are many knowledgeable and friendly folks at marlinowners.com that can probably help you out.

There are many knowledgeable and friendly folks at marlinowners.com that can probably help you out.
I will pass on that thanks. I can figure it out, no worries. If need be I will either make a new stud with a common thread, install a Heli-coil with a more common thread, decide there is another way not thought of or I will find a screw that works with the current stud.

On to bigger things now, accurizing the rifle, the light mount can wait. I will just wear a head lamp or something when I walk into the bush in darkness.

3C

Back