Marlin Levers

DPris

Member Emeritus
Got word today, for those interested, that the Marlin Recovery Program continues. :)

A very sizable chunk of money approved internally to buy machinery & address processes to de-sharp the Marlin levers.

This will take several months, don't expect major changes immediately, but it's a very strong indication that Marlin IS making serious efforts to restore quality.

There's a new emphasis on "better" instead of "cheaper" in Remington and Marlin.
Getting out from under Cerberus is making a difference.
Denis

@Denis. It's always appreciated when you can share your insider information about the shooting sports and products.

Since we're talking about Marlin's revival here: When you spoke with Marlin, did they give any indications about the re-introduction of the .444 or the model 39?

The .444 was mentioned a while back, but nothing recently.
The .357s were taking up most of the re-intro time & efforts at Marlin.

The 39 has been discussed, but IF it's greenlit, it'd be a 2-year program.
Nothing currently in the works.
Denis

I would think the 444 demand would be meet in the used market, while the 39A is rising in price beyond any reasonable value of that gun. Having noted that, I would rather see a return to quality on the 94 and 95 before adding more product. A return of the 39 would be nice. A return of single shot priced for middle class budget, would also be nice. I do not remotely expect that, just my 4c.

I am no marketing genius, I think the product line could be simplified to blue & walnut and stainless & synthetic. I dont see the point in heavy laminated stocks. I hope the porting is a thing of the past. No serous huner with 1/2 a brain is going to want a gun like that. More than one gun purchased and immediately sold after one shooting. It is brutal and cannot be removed like a screw on brake. Heck just thread the stainless gun, there is no classic appeal in those.

I am surprised the 357 would take any time at all. It is not very encouraging to hear that is some kind of "project". Those would sell. Sharp edges and all, what ever that means.

I, for one, appreciate that they are trying to make sure th .357s are 1st quality when they release them rather that slapping them together and shipping them out. That would be a sure fire way to kill interest and the entire lever action program.

My $.02. YMMV

Bringing back the .357s in four different versions was not as quick or easy as you might think.
It required engineering, and that required engineers, among other things.
Resources were allocated here & there, and the .357 was not the only thing going on.

Different picture, without Cerberus.
Denis

The Model 444** is a carrot on a stick.
It's just there to keep people coming in to gun stores, looking to see if there's a new 444 in the rack, and then getting distracted by the latest version of the 336, 1895, or 1894...

There is no hope.

The Model 444, last Marlington said anything about it, was actually referred to as an "1895 Model 444", with an accompanying photo that showed .45-70-sized (1895) loading and ejection ports.
For me, that begs a question that will follow a very brief history lesson:

The 336 is the base for the 444 receiver.
The 444 receiver is the base for the 1895 receiver.
The 444 receiver is the base for the .450 Marlin and .338 MX models. (NOT the 1895 [because the 1895 is weaker], even though the .450 was called an '1895'.)

Now, the 1895 is the base for the Model 444.

So, is it its own daddy?... :confused:
There's some serious inbreeding going on...

Last edited:
Don't have much use for 357 lever for myself. I suppose asking for this is a bit much:
A 444 Sporting Carbine Take / Down model having a non-ported round barrel. Something of that sort sure would be up my alley. What a dandy Black Powder burning 100 yrd brush buster that would be.

With all of the uncertainty going on under the bankruptcy proceedings & projected company sales, nobody knows where Remington & Marlin will be positioned, or how many of the umbrella companies might be spun off.

IF Marlin continues on where they are now, there are genuine attempts being made inside the company to restore previous quality levels.

The upper management AND the owners who were responsible for the Marlin Move Debacle are gone.
Different people running the show.

You're not going to see a 100% turnaround in QC overnight.
Slowly, quality's coming back.
There are people inside the company fighting for it, and there are still some people who either don't see a problem or don't care.

It's an uphill battle for those who do care, but at least there's more interest and more support at upper levels now.

There has been talk of quite an expansion of Marlin models & calibers, but again- not happening this week & not next.

And I'll say once again that quality was declining at the old plant, with the old workers, using the old equipment, BEFORE Remington bought the company, so "The Good Old Days" were winding down even then. :)
Denis

As you know, DPris, I agree with the quality decline before Remington came into the picture.
Remington truly screwed the pooch with their early production and is still putting out rifles with flaws.

But Marlin kicked plenty of crap out the door, too.

The rifles they have been producing the last few years are fine. The new attitude is encouraging that the things will get better.

Finally someone admits that quality suffered before Remington and Marlin has had spats of quality issues for decades and I have owned a few of them. An unpopular fact on some forums. In fact, Marlin quality was always a bit sketchy. But these were never high end rifles are are not now any more so. But they should be good, working rifles and it sounds like Marlin is on a come back.

Unfortunately not.
Three surgeries in the past 9 months, two of those in the past two months.
Each one takes another chunk, and I don't bounce back like I used to at 19.

Short story long- I was just able to shoot again two days ago for the first time in 6 weeks, and I have not been able to get to the Marlin.

Still trying to work around to it, the Savage Scout, and the Winoku '73. :)
Denis

Well, as negative as I've been on Marlin and Remington especially the past several years, I'm pleased to hear this. That doesn't mean I'm going to be buying a Marlin anytime soon... or ever. The only lever action I want right now is one that can shoot "Ruger Only" .45 Colt or .454 Casull that can also run .45 Colt and I doubt Marlin is going to be offering one of those soon.

IMO, Marlin is going to be the next H&R within 15 years.

Back