Marlin Guide Gun

Mike Baugh

I have a need {want} for a new rifle . I am looking at the Marlin Guide Gun . I have found them in the new 444 Marlin but I can not find one in 45-70 . I used to have an 1895 SS Marlin in 45-70 so I am familiar with this combination . Which caliber would be the one to get and why . I can find 45-70 ammo easily but can not find 444 as of yet . I do not want to reload so this could be a deciding factor . The gun will be used for fun shooting and possibly Elk , Bear . Thanks , Mike...

Paul , thanks for the reply . I picked up the 444 "Outfitter" today . I called every gun store in a 100 mile radius and no one has or can get the 45-70 Guide Gun . The store where I buy most of my guns at said they have had them on order since April and the distributors are giving a September delivery date . The Outfitter [444] is the same as the Guide Gun [45-70] just different caliber . When I run across a Guide Gun I will pick one up also . From what I have read the 444 has more energy and a flatter trajectory than the 45-70 [in factory ammo] , I may have to start reloading or find someone to load for me as the ammo will be harder to find I am sure . The big-bore lever guns must be making a comeback because all the stores say the Guide Gun's are the most requested gun as of late . I would like to hear from others that have any experience with the 444 . Thanks , Mike...

My problem with the .444's is I have heard that the barrel twist is too slow for bullets much heavier than 265 gr. There was an article in RIFLE magazine several years back by the late Frank De Haas on that very subject. None of the .444's would stabilize 300 gr. bullets. He rebarreled with a faster twist barrel, and then the rifles shot good groups with no keyholing. If Marlin has gone to a faster twist, you could be O.K.
Paul B.

Mike,

Check with Southeastern Guns in Birmingham, AL. I bought my 45-70 Guide Gun there last March and they had several of them for $450. Here's their web site address: http://www.southeasternguns.com /

Also, I think that the NRA's American Rifleman had an article on the 45-70 guide guns (Winchester and Marlin) last month.

BTW: Personally, I prefer the 45-70. Also, if memory serves me correctly, you can load the 45-70 much hotter than a .444; although you have to be careful what you look at: the reloading manuals for the 45-70 have to take into account the old Springfield guns that can't take the pressure a modern gun (i.e. Marlin Guide Gun) can take. Factory ammo is loaded for the old guns also. Reloading allows to you increase substantially, if needed, the power of the 45-70.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Albin

Back