Marlin Guide Gun

RickG30

I've got about 30 rounds thru my 45-70 with Win.#2 ammo. I've had several failures to extract. The shell came about halfway out of the chamber and jammed. The recoil is OK shooting offhand but shooting at the bench was brutal! This is my first lever gun and I would welcome any advice. How many rounds will it take to break it in, best handling techniques, best ammo, how to clean, etc. The straight grip seems to strain my wrist. I've got big hands and I don't have much room inside the loop. Thanks, Rick

[This message has been edited by RickG30 (edited May 09, 1999).]

Rick,
I've had no similar problems with mine. You may have a defective extractor. Contact Marlin's Customer Service to locate the nearest warrenty service near you. Alternatively, take it to a reputable gunsmith and have it looked into. While you're at it, have him put/ build a larger loop to fit your hand (note: this latter custom work, unless done with Marlin parts, may invalidate your warranty).

Rick,

I have a new Guide Gun and have had no problems with extraction. I recommend you seek help through warranty repair.

Recoil is healthy, but not brutal. I suggest you position yourself on the bench much like when you are shooting upright. That way you are rolling with the recoil instead of fighting it.

------------------
Bruce Stanton

Good idea on the bench rest. I was realy leaning into the gun. Thanks. How many rounds do you think it takes to break the gun in? I tried to break in the barrel. After 30 rounds I figure I'll shoot 5 in a row and then clean the barrel for the next 25 rounds and be done with it. Do you go for 200 rounds like a handgun?
Rick

I hadn't thought much about break-in. I have only fired twenty-five rounds through it. I keep it in the trunk of my work car in case I need a rifle even though the department hasn't issued me one of them fancy military surplus M-16s. I figure who is going to criticize me for using the same gun Roy Rogers and Gene Autry used?

------------------
Bruce Stanton

A tip I learned long ago when shooting a .308 Norma Magnum from a bench is to place a sandbag on your shoulder with the rifle butt against the bag. I could fire that rifle all day long off-hand, but like you, hard recoiling rifles hit me differently on a bench. Adding the sand bag weight helps a lot.

Back