Marlin firearms closing their doors?

coyotewsm

I just saw on Facebook that marlin has been bought out by a company called the freedom group and is closing their doors. This (Freedom Group) is supposedly owned by cerberus capital which is controlled by George Soros Obama's Cheif financier. I'm wondering if anyone can confirm or deny this statement.

Welcome to 2007. After they were bought, production was moved to the Remington pland and QC went south. Reports are slowly coming in that quality is returning.

They own a lot more than just Marlin.

http://www.freedom-group.com/

What is Freedom Group?

We are the world's leading innovator, designer, manufacturer and marketer of firearms, ammunition and related products for the hunting, shooting sports, law enforcement and military markets. As one of the largest manufacturers in the world of firearms and ammunition, we have some of the most globally recognized brands including Remington®, Bushmaster® Firearms, DPMS/Panther Arms™, Marlin®, H&R®, The Parker Gun™, Mountain Khakis®, Advanced Armament Corp. ®, Dakota Arms®, Para™ USA and Barnes® Bullets.
For more information download the Freedom Group Brochure.

Mission Statement

Freedom Group develops, manufactures and markets innovative firearms, ammunition and related products of the highest quality for demanding applications in the commercial, law enforcement and defense markets around the world. Our value-added solutions result from a thorough understanding of our customers' needs and aspirations and our relentless pursuit of innovation, quality and continuous improvement in every aspect of our business.

On edit, reply to the facebook post with this:

fb_dumb.jpg

:D

I personally spoke with the owner of Barnes Bullets after Remington (freedom) acquired the business. The conversation i had with him occurred about two years ago. He told me it was a real shame to see what Remington did to Marlin and that the quality of Marlin was destroyed when they moved the factory.

They might rebuild it after a while but I would stay away for now. Barnes is still high quality and better than ever because the old owner still runs it at the same factory with all the same employees and processes.

They might rebuild it after a while but I would stay away for now. Barnes is still high quality and better than ever because the old owner still runs it at the same factory with all the same employees and processes.
The same people may still be in charge ... mostly.

But it's far from the same factory and employees.

Barnes built a new facility after the company joined the Cerberus portfolio. They didn't move far, but far enough to be a problem for some employees. In the process, some employees left for political reasons, some employees didn't want the extra commute, and many more employees were hired (to fill the empty jobs, and staff the new positions).

I got a Marlin Model 60 not long after Freedom Group acquired them. Been a great shooting gun and still have it. Now, I'm not trying to defend them because Freedom Group has issues in the QC department. However, it doesn't discourage me THAT much. I've also got a new Rem 1100 a couple years ago. Again, a great gun

Marlin's quality had been slipping for years before The Freedom Group bought them. Many of the QC issues with Marlin rifles that occurred during and immediately after the takeover and move to Ilion were because many experienced workers who had been with Marlin left the company did not relocate. This means that Remington had to tool up, start up, and ramp up at the same time they were trying to retain and retrain their production line workers. Some of their transition rifles were pretty rough. I see current Marlins in the shop now, and they are well made and well fit rifles, in spite of some of the gloom and doom I read online about Marlins.

I so hate the fact that stories can circulate on Facebook for years.

I don't know where this stuff hides, but theres some source of old stories that keeps recycling them. Somebody on another forum just announced that the pres had banned green tip ammo by EO. That post disappeared shortly. Another one I love is the bogus story of the gigantic bear in Alaska that ate people, was killed in a dramatic charge, and was somehow about twice the size that the actual hunter that killed it says it was.

Am I the only one getting tired of overpaid American CEO's relearning that a small amount of excrement ruins an awful lot of ice cream?

Quality DID slip before the buy, but the current company has put millions of dollars into equipment & training and QC is coming back.

I would not avoid, but I would check hands-on before committing.
Denis

I was never in the gun business, but the big multinational company I worked for bought a lot of smaller companies, just like the big "management" companies do. I was often on the acquisition team. The objective was to absorb the new company into 'us' and reduce cost. Always the objective was to reduce cost. Always. Still, however, there was always the other objective of improving how the new addition performed. Run it cheaper and run it better. Great plan, but sometimes we lost a lot of good people in the process of changing things and relocating people. I loved the job, but sometimes felt bad about impacting people's lives. That sentence makes me sound insensitive, which is far from the truth. It's a tough world out there and I'm glad to be out of it and living in the country.

Barnes Bullets moved from Lindon Utah to Mona Utah *WELL* before the freedom group acquisition. I have first hand knowledge of the reasons for the move and the two events are completely unrelated.

T. O'Heir. I'm aware companies don't annouces things on Facebook but that doesn't stop individuals from posting online articles to Facebook.

My family would say it a bit differently, in that "we have fired on Ft Sumter".

Grandma always said that "the war isn't over, we're just behind right now".

And there is a whole thread someplace arguing the merits of .30-30 vs .32 Special! That one has been going on since about 1902.

Jim

Back