Marlin bolt extractor removal?

3Crows

As many times as I have taken various Marlins apart I have never removed the extractor from the bolt. Looks easy, just wondering if anybody has a trick.

My old but nice 336 Texan, I want to remove and massage the extractor a bit, it sometimes slips off the rim of the case.

3C

Oh, no worries, popped it right off. No trick required. All fixed up good as new, or probably actually better.

3C

Bob, the extractor was slightly bent outward, no longer resting against the bolt. Occasionally it would slip off of the rim and leave the cartridge in the chamber or partially extracted. I simply removed the extractor by pushing both legs with the bolt in a padded vice. It popped right off. I then re-bent the extractor so that it had a little bit of preload against the bolt.

It is common practice, especially on new rifles, to relieve the preload on the extractor just a little bit. If when working the lever you feel a hitch in the action just as the rim of the cartridge pushes up onto the bolt face and forces itself under the extractor, that can be improved by relieving the extractor. This can usually be done without removing the bolt. Just get a little plastic pick or similar and slide it under and bend the extractor away from the bolt. A little bit does it.

But on my old 336 Texan, it needed the opposite. Perhaps along the way somewhere it had been relieved too much or simply relaxed over the years. In any case, it is good to go now.

3C

Might be a good idea to grab a spare one now...that way if it does go out completely
you'll have a spare ready for a 15-minute fix ;)

Back