Marlin 925 help!

DeltaCypher0

Inactive
Okay, so I have been posting asking for advice on a .22LR bolt action made in AMERICA. I wanted one with iron sights and one that would be very accurate for small game. I've gotten suggestions of CZ, the Ruger 77/22, and Marlin 925. I like the price of the Marlin, but I have heard bad things about them since they have been bought out by Remington. Can anyone help me and tell me their experiences with the newer 925s? Thanks for any help in advance.

If you're not opposed to used rifles I would look for a Marlin 25n. That is the predecessor to the 925 and I have seen them for $100 In pawn shops. It has a trigger that can be messed with easily for a decent pull and mine came with nicer adjustable sights than the 925. Different years came with different stocks. Mine is solid birch with pressed in checkering. I have shot thousands of rounds through that rifle and it is still capable of .25" 5-shot groups at 50 yards with CCI Green-Tag or Wolf ME. The new XT-22 Remington-made Marlins have been a mixed bag from what I have read. Supposedly the trigger is much better than the older versions.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

yeah the Marlin 25N is definitely one to consider, if you can find one. That was my first gun actually, got it for $120. The stock was a little beat up, but with a bit of time I was able to re-finish it and get it looking almost showroom worthy!

--Also, the gun itself has never had any malfunctions after thousands of rounds, any malfunctions I had were because of the ammo.

Older Marlin go for it new Marlins stay away from them. I have a 795 and had to send it back to Marlin. They forgot to install the assembly pin/bolt and without it its a one shot rifle. Part is plastic like I should expect it to be made of metal??? Breech bolt on the left side looks like it was in salt water for a couple of months and they would not replace it.
The problem is not Remington its this group www.freedom-group.com

I bought one about 4 years ago and still have it. Its a great little gun, but the sights leave a lot to be desired. The sights sit very low on the barrel and it is a little bit uncomfortable because you have to rest the bottom edge on the stock on your shoulder. If you rest the entire butt plate on your shoulder, you have to turn your head at an uncomfortable angle to see the sights. The other thing is the sights and only elevation adjustable and there is a little bit of wiggle in them, so you can accidentally bump them to the left or the right just a little bit. Its enough to miss a soda can at distance. If you put a scope on none of this is an issue.

As far as reliability or durability, it is terrific. I have several thousand rounds through mine and it works fantastic. If you take the trigger group off for cleaning, you have to tighten it very well other wise it works itself loose after a couple hundred rounds. Its worth the $175 i paid for it.

I could really use some more help on this post. I'm getting close to purchasing my new .22, and the Marlin is a great price, but I hope to find quality in it. Please give me more feedback about this rifle.

It really is a fine gun. There is nothing wrong with it. Just buy it and shoot the snot out of it. Its hard for a bolt action .22 to be bad.

I'd skip the 925...and I'm a Marlin Fan.

I'd go straight to a Marlin XT-22, the trigger alone is worth it ;)

I did inspect two loads of Marlin XT's that came in over the last two months...quality is UP over last year's models :)

I find myself not very enthused about the synthetic stocks, as I prefer wood.
But Boyd's Riflestocks makes all manner of laminates and walnuts...(800/900 Marlin stocks fit the XT22), so its no big deal ;)

^^ What this guy said. The late 925s had quality control issues the same as the first xt-22s. The trigger is really good on the xt-22. I would just make sure the crown is perfect, the sights are perfectly lined up, and there isn't any other obvious flaws. There are nicer rear sights out there you can add to the Marlin. Marlin used to make a nice adjustable rear-sight for their bolt action .22s. I think you can still buy one through Numrich or other parts suppliers.

I have a 25N with a nice birch stock and a friend just bought an XT-22 with a plastic stock (junk:() both shoot great but get the wood stock.

I have about a 4 year old 981T and it is a wonderful rifle.

That is a wonderful rifle. I've been keeping my eyes open for a deal on one but haven't found it yet. Saw a 917m2 heavy barrel at a Pawn a while back for $195 but I passed because I would rather have a 981T. I would like to have a 2000 as well some day.

I have a 925 that I bought 2 yrs ago. No complaints, other than the stiff trigger. Replaced the trigger spring and now it feels decent.

I'd be looking at the Savage line - their triggers are wonderful.

Back