Marlin .45-70 barrel length

TBeck

I've decided to give in and get an 1895 model chambered in .45-70. So the choices are between the SS model with the 22-inch barrel or the Guide gun with the 18.5-inch barrel. Obviously the Guide Gun is slightly handier and has porting to help tame the muzzle rise. But what does chopping 3.5 inches off of the barrel do to the ballistics of the .45-70? Is the efect significant?

No...

------------------
.45 Super... Fat and FAST...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

I see using the rifle for hunting at ranges under 200 yards in upstate Indiana and possibly Michigan. It would also be present on camping trips for use against any predators two-legged or otherwise that might want to molest my family.

I work in a gun shop so I have the opportunity to handle both the Guide Gun and the SS. The Guide Gun is definitely handier but I'm not sure if half a pound and 3.5 inches of less barrel really make all that much difference. I also wonder at the effect the porting has when fired in the field. I imagine it makes the gun considerably louder for the shooter.

Speaking of muzzle rise, I didn't notice any when I took my 1895 to the range last weekend, even with my hot 400gr loads. It was stout, but the recoil came straight back.

TBECK,
You might want to check Indiana's hunting regulations before you go toting that guide gun there. I believe its still illegal to hunt with a rifle in Indiana.

Magnum Man

Magnum Man, thanks for the warning. There is a good chance I will be moving to Indiana next year but I will definitely look into the regs. If the rifle is verboten, then the Mossberg will have to do (But I'll still buy the Marlin :))

I had my 1895 chopped to 18" and I don't notice to much of a change. I can do without the porting on it but it's to late now.

Back