Marlin 44Mag Lever Gun - Any Fun?

Conan

Has anybody tried one of these? I've looked at them and the Winchester, and the Marlin wins hands down in the looks/workmanship department. They look like a lot of fun to shoot.

------------------
An unarmed man is a subject.

I have one of the little shorty versions that Davidsons had done up a couple of years ago. Shoots great, lightweight, and perfect on the motorcycle.
Dump the crummy factory buckhorn sights and put a set of the Ashley Outdoors ghostring/black and white post sights on. Makes a big difference.

I'm anxiously awaiting the new 16" model (supposed to be out this month). I had a .44 Winchester Trapper previously. I fitted it with a Williams aperture sight and it worked very nicely. It didn't handle cast bullets well and, annoyed with this, I sold it...a choice I now regret. The Marlin offering is said to come with cast-bullet-friendly "Ballard" rifling.

Rosco

Conan,

I have one of these, in the 20" bbl. version. I replaced the factory buckhorn sights with a Williams peep. It's really a fun gun to shoot.

I've shot both jacketed and cast reloads through it and found it to be very accurate at 50 yds. with selected loads. Even at 100 yds, I can still get decent groups if I take my time.

If you buy it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Nazman

I also have the Marlin in .44 Mag. Its a lot of fun to shoot and easy to carry in the field. It is quite accurate with jacketed bullets. Also, if the velocity is kept down mine will shoot cast bullets accurately. I also have a Williams peep site on mine.

Above all it is a lot of fun to shoot.

Will

I have one in 45 Colt it is the Special Edition that Lou Horton sold a few years back and I really like it. A real fun shooter in a very compact package and being the same cal as my Ruger means I only need carry one kind of ammo when I go plinking with it.

------------------
John - NRA - Lifer

Loads of fun! I was a little concerned about recoil- - I wanted to be able to have fun plinking with it and didn't want to have a bruised cheek every time I shot it. Not a problem at all. The recoil is enough to impress you with the power what you just launched downrange, but I don't find it painful at all.

I waited for the Ballard rifling and plan to shoot mostly lead bullets. I'm not crazy about the factory sights either. The rear sight isn't in focus for me unless I concentrate. I may go with the Ashley peep.

I'm going to resist putting a sling, scope or butt cuff on it, to keep the sweet handling.

I like mine so much, I'm thinking of getting the .357 version, but I want a 16" barrel on that one.

Back