Marlin 39A; looking for hard to find part.

Crosshair

I have a Marlin 39A with serial number D23XXX, Built in 1946 according to my research, that jams literally every time you try to chamber a round. My gunsmith friend says that the cartridge carrier is worn out. The older ones are slightly different than the newer ones and don't interchange. He can't find one anywhere, so I figure I should try here.

Other than than the fact it's currently a single shot gun, it is in very nice shape.

Who would I contact to have my gun looked at and fixed? There has to be someone who either has a cartridge carrier or can just make a new one. (Yea that will cost money, but these old 39As don't grow on trees.)

Thanks for your help.

I have worked on a few Marlin 39As. Can you describe the jam in more details? Failure to chamber, or failure to extract / eject?

-TL

You mentioned a gunsmith friend - this is what a gun"smith" is able to do.

Ah, no. Being a gunsmith doesn't automatically mean you can fart out any part you happen to need. My friend may be able to identify any and every type of wood without even needing to turn on the lights, but he doesn't have a machine shop.

You might also want to post over on the Marlin Owners Forum here:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/rimfires/

Thank you, I will give that a shot.

Mine is quite a bit newer than yours, it has a cartridge guide at the top of the receiver. If this is missing or damaged it may be causing feed problems...Just a thought.

The Model 39-A of the late 1940's has two cartridge guides.
One is a flat "spring" in the "roof" of the receiver.
The screw that retains it is often mistaken for a scope mount screw and removed, loosing the guide.

Second guide is a formed flat stock spring in the right side receiver wall hels in by an internal screw.

Both of these guides need to be present and working correctly in order to feed.

It's very unusual for a cartridge lifter to be defective.
The 1940's through the early 80's are very different.
The 80's and after have a spring loaded button riveted in the carrier to act as a carrier rocker.

The older part is composed of a rocker, a wire rocker spring, and a retaining screw.
Any carrier made during the 40's through the late 70's should work.

Here's some possible sources:

http://www.poppertsgunparts.com/cgi-bin/webdata/webdata_gunparts.cgi
Carrier, $15.00.

https://www.jackfirstgun.com/
You have to call, nothing is listed online.

Someone was looking for an "old style" carrier just a couple months ago.
Even with the help of the gunsmithing forum and all of the gunsmiths experienced in tracking down obsolete and hard-to-find parts, we could not locate one.

They're in-demand repair parts, and go quickly when available.

Are you talking the feed controlling piece just outside of the ammo tube?

The new thing can replace it. But you'll need a new new one every 5-150 rounds (not a typo).
Been there, done that. Gunsmith even more sick of it than I am.

If you do find an original style replacement, please let me know.

Back