Marlin 39a Golden Pre Remlin issue/question

cslinger

I have a pre Remlin Marlin 39a that has a spent cartridge hang up in the chamber from time to time and can be a bit;( to get out without a cleaning rod or whatever.

I replaced the extractor with a factory replacement and all was better and then I experienced it again.

So basically the order of events is
Chamber round
Pull trigger
Bang
Work lever to extract/chamber new
Extractor jumps rim of spent case new round cannot feed etc.
Spent case is tight in chamber heard to pull out with knife/small screw driver. Can be done but generally much easier with cleaning rod.

Insights??

As always I appreciate the input and knowledge.

could be a crudded up chamber(shooting a lot of shorts will do it) or a pitted chamber that may clean up with a bit of polishing up. eastbank.

I had a lever 22 that did the same thing, but it was with a particular brand of ammo. Cleaned the chamber well and switched ammo, no more problems. Also found out that by cycling the lever s l o w l y, it would usually extract and eject. Forgot also make sure the little notch the extractor goes into is cleaned out, it gets gunky too.

That's interesting; my 39 only hangs up when I tepidly work the action. If I snap it open and closed briskly it always works. I guess that illustrates how even the same types of firearms can be entities to themselves... everyone a little unique in some way.

Clean, clean, clean the chamber and it still could possibly be a little rough for any number of reasons. I have an old Ithaca shotgun with a rough chamber, my dad let it get a little rusty once. I cleaned it vigorously and it is still a little rough but now functions fine anyway.

The suggestion to try other ammo is a good one also.

Too many shorts without a good cleaning would be my guess also.
Nothing worse than dirty shorts!

Also sounds like oil in the chamber...

Heat + Pressure + burnt gunpowder +gun oil = Glue :(

It doesn't bother centerfires as much, but rimfires have FITS due to the light recoil!
Especially .22Magnums...

Could also be..

too many dry-fit=ring thaat has peen the chamber that caused the case to hang.

Besst find a smith that has the chamber iron that reworks the metal back to
proper spec.

Back