Marlin 39A Ejection problems

MandoCowboy

Inactive
Experiencing what seems to be a unique issue with my Marlin 39A. Rounds are fed and extracted without issue but are being pinched between the ejector and extractor and preventing rounds from fully ejecting. No parts are bent/broken.

Rifle is in good condition and has been thoroughly cleaned, oiled, etc.
The year should be 1963 with the "W" prefix on the serial number.
I'm attaching images of what's going on

Attachments

• A+ Gallery_49.jpg
    A+ Gallery_49.jpg
    841.9 KB · Views: 96
  • A+ Gallery_50.jpg
    A+ Gallery_50.jpg
    969.3 KB · Views: 86
  • A+ Gallery_51.jpg
    A+ Gallery_51.jpg
    970.7 KB · Views: 83
First move is to deep clean the action.

Check the ejector for free movement and good spring tension.
The ejector should have a good amount of tension.

Remove the ejector assembly from the left side of the receiver by removing the two outer screws on the outside.
Pay attention to how the ejector and spring fit into the ejector "box".

Disassemble the bolt by lifting the firing pin out and carefully prying the extractor out.

Inspect the ejector, spring, and ejector box for wear or deformed parts.

Inspect the bolt for damage around the front, and inspect the extractor for wear, bends, or other damage.
A common fault is an extractor that's bent or has lost tension, or has a damaged hook.
Lubricate everything and reassemble.

Make sure the upper cartridge guide is in the inside "roof" of the receiver and make sure it curves downward not upward.

Remove and inspect the cartridge guide in the right receiver wall, clean it and the recess in the receiver wall and lubricate.

AT THE RANGE, load a round in the chamber and slowly operate the lever to pull the cartridge out of the chamber and watch as it attempts to eject it.
Try slowly ejecting a fired round and watch to see what's causing the problem.

Most times the problem is a worn, bent, or altered part, or a fouled receiver.

I believe there is a screw that must be turned to take down and put back to use. I believe it holds down the ejector. If you don't turned the screw to take it apart, the ejector won't move. I'm not a 39 expert.

What RC said. If the OP took apart and cleaned the rifle, and if he left the ejector screwed down, that might be the cause. When I say “screwed down”, if you have a 39A you should know what I mean.

What appears to be a screw inside on the front of the ejector box is actually a slotted rivet.

To clean the bore, the ejector is pressed down and the slotted rivet is rotated to lock the ejector down.
After cleaning you have to remember to rotate the rivet to unlock the ejector.

From the pictures posted above, the ejector is unlocked, so that's not the problem.

Back