Marlin 336C

Mat1840

Inactive
Hi everyone, I was planning to buy my first rifle and I am considering a New Marlin 336C, i'd just like to have your thoughts on this firearm. I know the quality of the Marlin's have dropped since Remington bought them, but it's been quite a while since and was hopping that it was getting better. I really dig that gun and want to read what you think about it.

Thanks, and sorry for my english.

Mathieu Pichette.

If I may suggest looking for a used 336c in good condition.
Cost would be the same or less and you would have a better gun.
I have a couple a 1958 336c with ballard rifling in 30-30. Its as smooth as butter.
And a 1941 model 36 in 32 win special. I would not trade ether for a new one and they cost less.

That is if your in the US. If your in France or something like that. maybe you dont have a choice. But look for the most recent manufacture you can find. The fit and finnish has gotten a little better of late.

Last edited:
I would go for a new one, then.

Lately I have been thinking about a new 336c in .35 Remington.

Most of the problems reported were from a few years back. I haven't heard so much about recent purchases being regretted.

There's plenty of used JM-stamped 336C's or the older RC models in Canada. I'd look for an older one. Even the 30AS or Glenfield models with birch stocks and economy sights.

The new production Marlin 336s look much better, but they're functionally inferior rifles. I consider some to be dangerous.
Remington improved fit and finish (still not by much :rolleyes:) while cutting corners on the internals, raw materials (cheaper alloys), and metal preparation (internal finishing and hardening).

Like everything else they make, they seem to be trying to turn the 336 into a consumer good that will wear out and not be repairable, rather than the durable good (long life, and repairable) that we're used to.

I absolutely would not buy a 'new production' (2010+) Marlin 336, unless it was dirt cheap (<$175) and I had the motivation to rebuild the entire rifle - including re-hardening of all important components.

Wait for a used one, 2009 or older, or you'll regret it. ...Probably sooner than later.

I don't have a new production 336 but I do have a new production 1895G in .45-70. I have 4 other Marlins, three of which are pre-safety; a 336SC in .32WS, a 336C in .30-30, a 336C in .35 Remington and a 444P (w/ safety) in .444 Marlin. I agree that the Ilion produced guns ranged from poor to absolutely horrible during the first couple of years (and maybe longer) but the new ones are actually well made, finished and assembled. There may still be some quality control issues but I am as pleased with my new Guide Gun as I am with my Outfitter.

I don't recommend buying one sight unseen and I would not consider one of the early Ilion rifles unless, like the previous poster said, it was really cheap but the rifles that I have seen lately are very good guns. My .45-70 is both well put together and very accurate.

damienph, take a closer look at the new 336s.
Remington improved fit and finish a bit from when they first moved production; but they aren't polishing the internals, and are not hardening action parts like Marlin did (which causes serious problems after 50-100 rounds). Many that I have looked at had dangerously excessive headspace (all had excessive headspace), and every dealer that I've talked to expects to see about 50% of the new Marlins come back in with problems requiring factory repair, within the first month.

The 1895s are a little bit better, since different machining and heat treating is required for nearly everything in (and including) the receiver.

Now is not the time to buy a new Marlin 336.

Big manufactures are slow to change. Sadly: It's Best to look else where's if wanting a lever rifle these days. Or consider buying a used JM model from a reliable source. JM 336's are known to be Marlin's very best >truly a lifetime of service sporting rifle.

With all the issues the the Remlin guns are reported to have, don't forget about the offerings from Henry. I just got a new catalog and have been drooling over it quite a bit. Other than the lack of a loading gate, which I can look past, they're nice guns.

Back