Marlin 336: Pics, so it must have happened.

tmlynch

Here awhile back, I "accidentally" bought a Marlin 336 on Gunbroker. I bid on purpose, but I never expected the gun to sell for $202. It is used, and shows wear on the metal and the wood. The "bullseye" was missing; Marlin sent me a new one for free. The plug screws on top of the receiver were missing; a local 'smith sold me 4 for $6.
2012-06-25_19-22-30_764.jpg

I finally got it to the range. Elevation was off at 50 yards, but that was easy to fix.
2012-07-14_13-44-03_297.jpg

Windage was a bit trickier. I didn't bring a hammer. I marked where the rear sight was with a pencil, then I used my Swiss Army Knife to set against the rear sight in the dovetail, then whacked it with my Leatherman. Lucky hit.
2012-07-14_13-44-09_588.jpg

I have to say, I'm feeling good about what ended up as my Father's Day present. I think it likes Remington 150 gr. Core-Lokt ammo.

Regards,
Tom

Huh.

My 336 HATED Remington ammo with a passion.

it seems to like anything Federal and Hornady's Lever-Evolution. But I've never pushed my range past 30 yards, now I want to get to a range and really test it out.

$202?

I hate you. I just posted about my 336 today. Mine came from my grandfather, but I'd like to get another one (other family members that hunt).

No really, great find. :cool: I hope you enjoy yours one tenth of how much I have enjoyed mine.

To paraphrase

Dear Forum:

I live in a college town, and I never thought it would happen to me until...

We have all read about someone's good luck with a deal. I will confess to my share of envy when reading those posts. I spent a long time watching auctions before this one hit. If it can happen to me, it can happen to you.

Tom

Nice!

Now that I have a group centered, I'll check at longer range. I hope I will be able to do that too.

I will say I am not a huge fan of the stock rear sight. Part of the problem is a shiny spot that makes it hard to get good resolution.

Regards,
Tom

You can apply some sight black for a temporary solution, or carefully paint it flat black for a more permanent solution.

Or I could use this as an excuse to buy a rear peep sight.
That's the spirit!!!

Williams makes a good peep sight for the Marlin 336, or, if you want something a little more rugged and, in my opinion, better looking, you can take a look at the rear sight Wild West Guns makes.

http://www.wildwestguns.com/accessories.html

I also like their "Trigger Happy" Kit--the one I installed on my 1895 Marlin was so light that the local gunsmith was very suspicious of it and did a battery of tests on it to insure that it was still safe. He couldn't find anything wrong with it--I think he was mostly just jealous. :D

PetahW:

You raise an interesting question. I'm not sure which 336 variant this is. The serial number puts date of manufacture in the '70's. I don't recall which year.

One listing of 336 variants says the RC stopped in '68. I was thinking this was a W because it has the gold trigger.

Any definitive way to tell?

Regards,
Tom

1949 Marlin quality

My 336 my long deceased (1968) father passed down to me was produced in 1949. The American Walnut stock ( "fat forgrip") and amazing bluing is like nothing I have seen in my 61 years. The action is butter smooth, and I know my dad did not put a lot of round through it before he died. Wow is all I can say. I gave it to my son, who gave it back to me knowing he would own it in time. Good gun, great son.

Nice 336. My wife and I both have one. Hers is newer with a cross bolt safety. It also does not like Remington corelokts. She just started hunting deer this year. Her farthest shot was 200 yards. I dont remember how many she shot this year but I think she only missed once.

Back