Marlin 30AS Project

Tom B

I recently traded for a Winchester Trapper (traded with Whiskey from the handgun forum). I like the Trapper because of it's ease of getting it in/out of my pickup plus it seems to be as accurate as my 20in model 94. I am thinking about reducing the barrel length of my Marlin 30AS 30/30 from 20in to 16in and making a Marlin "Trapper"out of it. Has anyone done this? My question is how does the micro-groove rifling of the Marlin respond accuracy wise to being shortened. Any inherent reliability problems with the Marlin in doing this. I notice Marlin doesn't produce a short barreled 30/30 (or am I incorrect). Jim Brockman makes a custom rifle called the General Purpose Rifle which appears to be a Marlin 30/30 with a (what his specs call a shortened barrel) but it doesn't give a specific length. Thanks.

Gun Parts Corp sells Marlin barrels. For the 336/30 series they have 16 inch, several 18 1/2 inch, a 19 inch, quite a few 20 inch, some 22 1/2 inch and even a couple of 24 inch barrel numbers listed. Page 226 of Catalog #22.

Back