Marlin .22 magnum

Deer hunter88

How much would a used marlin .22 magnum bolt action stainless steel bull barrel rifle with a synthetic camouflage stock be worth for just the bare gun?

Depends who you plan to sell it to. I have one that I acquired by accident at my parents. Dad said I think I have a 22 under the bed. Sure enough one had been sitting there in the new box for 2 years. Never fired. Now I have a Stainless 22 mag with laminated stock.

I'd assume you could sell it for a little over $100. Look up the original cost and take 60 percent of it if you sell it to a store. Less for a pawn shop. Private sale always makes more money.

I'd be at $80 if it was anything but pristine.
A gun shop would price a decent one around $100-150.

I paid $140 for mine, new.
Current production can be picked up for $200 -- less if you shop around.

Thank you for the replies. My wife’s uncle is wanting to trade his for my marlin 30-30 but I would rather buy his because I like the 30-30 to much to get rid of it.

The actual model matters. The stock does not.
A Marlin Model 983S sold on gunauction.com this past March for $350. The 983S wasn't the only SS Marlin though.

The 983S is a laminate-stocked rifle with iron sights.
Swap that stock for plastic, and drop the sights, and you lose at least $150 in the blink of an eye.

But you do bring up a good point.
The X83 models* are tube-fed, while the X82 models* use detachable magazines.
Depending upon the local market, one magazine type may be worth more than the other. (Here, the X83s sell for a little more on the used market. ...But some of that may also be that the X82s have often had the magazine(s) lost.)

*783/883/983, and "XT" equivalents; and 782/882/982 and "XT" equivalents.

I just bought a used Marlin 981t last week. At $125, I wasn't interested. The next day the guy said $100 takes it or he was taking it to the gun shop for sale/trade. I knew I wasn't gonna get near that price for a new comparable rifle. It's a 22 blued model with a synthetic stock. I think I got a great deal at $100. A stainless, 22mag model I imagine would be worth a little more.

I don't see too many used modern 22 rifles at my lgs. They are usually pretty worn older examples and they are priced anywhere from $80-$150.

My thoughts:
1/2 of what you originally paid for the rifle..

Might depend on how long ago you bought the gun. I paid $188.74 for a new Marlin Model 882 SS (a stainless steel rifle chambered in.22 Magnum) in 2002. It's still in new condition and probably worth more than even a hundred bucks today. Just my thoughts.

Back