Marlin .22 Mag

tatters

Well I finally broke down a bought a Marlin .22 mag. I have not fired it yet, but plan to on Monday. It is the cheapo model 25mn, but on the Marlin web site all I could tell as far as difference between this and the 882(?) was the stock and checkering. Mine is a cheaper wood and is a pressed checkering. This is my first bolt action gun, so I am not all that familiar with them, but it feels real nice and cleaned up easily. I will report with my impressions after the first shooting session.

------------------
Knock twice. Rap with your cane. Feels nice. You're out of the rain. We got your skinny girls. Here at the Western World
from Steely Dan's "Western World"

Just got mine, same exact model, you'll be happy!

------------------
DOCSpanky HM3 USN
Happiness is a smoking gun and a dead criminal;)

I have a 882 SS with a bull barrel,synthetic stock. I can cover my groups at 200 yds with a dime. I love it I would reccommend using CCI ammo either Maxi Mag or Maxi Mag+V that is the best 22. mag ammo you can get.

I shot my Marlin Monday night,and am I impressed. I haven't sighted it in yet, but where the bullets were going, they went very consistantly. I used Maxi-Mags. I mounted the scope, and hope I can get it dialed in tomorrow. This is my first bolt action gun, and I like the the low report and the lack of crud in the action. Any quirks about a bolt gun that I should know about? Also easy to clean. This is a real nice shooting rifle, and a great value so far. About ammo, what should I use for hollowpoints?

------------------
Knock twice. Rap with your cane. Feels nice. You're out of the rain. We got your skinny girls. Here at the Western World

I have an 822. I have no problem getting sub-moa groups. I also recommend the CCI Maxi-Mag and Maxi-Mag +V. Mine seems to like the +V stuff better.

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side

picked up an 883ss a few years back. took a while to shoot it. it was just to "purty" a gun to shoot. when i finally shot it, out of box stock open sights. it was the only rifle i have shot that was on the money @1ooyds!!!
you can't beat that micro-groove rifling that marlin does. and i find for me that the winchester superX works the best, across the board in both auto loader and bolt guns, as well as pistols

tatters, you are going to love your rifle so much! I have an 882SS. It is accurate (sub-MOA), reliable, goodlooking, and fairly light. I went berserk and mounted an 8-32x scope. IMO, it compliments its inherent accuracy very well. A small scope on a Marlin .22 Mag is not right. Have fun!

Hueco

I have the same rifle. Mine has had thousands of rounds thru it, and has taken alot of game! I smoothed and lightened the trigger pull, tefloned the metal and added a synthetic stock because it got beat up over the years. A few weeks ago, I took it along to my father-in-law's so I could plink while my wife visited her mom. I was shooting old cigarette packs off hand at about 25 or 30 yards( with a scope). My wife came out later to try her luck. I just knocked the last pack over as she asked to shoot. I handed her the empty rifle and told her she could shoot as soon as I "set em back up". She told me not to bother, and then loaded the rifle and shot dead center on the TOP of the Pack that I knocked over! She smiled and walked back into the house. This rifle is far more accurate than it should be for the money! I absolutely, positively, LOVE IT!
CJB

You guys were right! I sighted in tonight.
I have a BSA 3-9 scope, and I got some really nice groups. I am dialed in pretty much, but I didn't have 100 yds out of the wind where I shoot, so I think I had to use about 75-80 yds. Not sure of my pace count anymore. This scope is a good entry level product, but I can see that with a real high quality scope, the picture would be better. So far, very happy with this little sweetie.

I still need some input on hollowpoint ammo for groundhogs. Whatcha think? Can I go out to 100 yds and be humane on g'hogs?

------------------

I have an 883 SS and so far Winchester Supreme 34 gr HP's are they best. At 50 yards they'll all go through one hole. I've taken groundhogs cleanly out to 125 yds although that's getting close to the max.

A question for everybody. These suckers are a little much for squirrels (head shots are required.) Does anyone have a recommendation for a SP or FMJ for squirrel hunting?

I'd like to get a thumbhole stock for my 25mn, but I haven't seen any aftermarket parts for marlins. Any know any sources?

I have a 25MN that shoots 5-shot one-hole groups at 50 yards all day. I have never been more impressed with a rifle. I have a couple of the semi-auto Rugers and they really don't compare to the accuracy of my Marlins, even with considerable tweaking with them. They are good guns and fun to shoot, but near as accurate as the Marlins.

I can EASILY take out a ground piggy at 100 yards with my Marlin. I use the Federal 30 grn. Sierra (sp). They seem to hit harder. All are head shots. NEVER had one run away wounded like I had with the 48 grn. I still can't get over the way this rifle shoots! I'm no sniper! I was anti-armor!
CJB

Back