Marlin 1895G cracked stock from 430gr bullet

WinMag

I just picked up my new Guide Gun yesterday. I purchased some Buffalo Bore Ammunition in order to sight my prized rifle in. Ammunition specifics are as follows: 430gr. L.B.T.-L.F.N.-G.C. (1925fps)(hard cast bullet). The warning posted on the ammunition is as follows: "45-70 Magnum ammunition is intended for use in and is safe for use in only the following firearms: Browning Mod. 1885 and 1886, Marlin Mod. 1895 manufactured since 1972, Rugers #1 and #3, new production Winchester 1886, and Shiloh Sharps rifles".

I fired 8 shots through my new rifle and went home to clean it, when I noticed a small crack in the top of my stock where the receiver screws into it. Is this normal? or should I not be using this kind of ammo?

I also found out that I cant raise my rear sight up enough to be on target at 50yds. I am still about 3 inches low.

I hope I can get my stock fixed (even though its a small crack, I can't stand knowing its there).

Thanks for your help,
WinMag

WinMag,

I just can't get this post out of my mind. There are better sources here for the 1895G and the .45-70 than I, but one thing in your story has got me hung up and I can't let it go.

I had an experience with some .357 Mag freebie handloads once that may or may not have a bearing on your "problem".

The key thing is that you can't seem to get the rifle sighted high enough at 50 yds. That's bothersome.

Here is what happened to me. The handloads I was shooting in my Ruger Blackhawk were way over pressure. Thank God I was shooting a quality piece of hardware. I noticed a big boom and substantial recoil, but bullet impact was low and I could HEAR the bullet hit the target at about thirty feet away. Long story short ... I was sooting a load that was WAY over the knee of the pressure vs velocity curve. Velocity was way down. Pressure was where I don't know. Scary.

Try a more standard velocity round and see what happens. Marlin may be good for the crack in the stock, but you need to back up and regroup with a milder load and see if the impact point rises.

FWIW.

try the ghost ring sight from wild west.its much better than that peice of junk they send with it.i think the cracked stock was a fluke.

Thanks for the responses,

I called Marlin this morning and they are going to send me a brand new stock. I just hope nothing internal is ruined also. Everything seems to look fine inside, however I did find a metal filing when I was cleaning it. The Buffalo Bore (ammo people) say that thats not uncommon for a brand new gun. I just hope he's right. He also said that the ammo has 40,000cps, and I cant seem to find a reputable source to let me know how much my new rifle can take.

WinMag

The Guide Gun is rated to 40000 CUP. Have loaded mine to those pressures and have not had any problems what so ever. The 1895G is a excellent gun, with a fantastic reputation. Wood is a imperfect material, these thing happen to any firearm.

Robert

Thanks Rob, That does make me feel better. Have you had any problem with your rifle printing low at 50yds with those heavier bullets?

WinMag

Have used lots of different loads and they have all pretty much done the same thing. Two to three inches high at 50 yards. That is with the sight at its lowest setting.

One thing that you failed to mention is whether or not the gun was shot from a rest. If you do not reload, get yourself some cheap ammunition. Most of them are loaded somewhere in the 17000 CUP range, really light. Shoot the gun from a rest, see what happen. Also, give the gun some time, the trigger may need to be broke in.

Robert

Back