Marlin 1894P range report

MountainGun44

I just picked up my new Marlin 1894P .44 Magnum Lever-action rifle. 16.25" ported barrel. 8 shot tube. It is the baby version of the Guide Gun. Weighs in at 5.75 pounds. Only 33.25" long!

Check it out:
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever_1894.html

Wow! What a fun little gun to shoot! The recoil is mild for a rifle. About midway between a .223 and a .308. Just enough to be satisfying. I was shooting next to an AR-15 with a 16" barrel. His rifle was much louder than mine, even with the ports in the barrel.

I shot at 25 yards to get sighted in. With 240 grain JHP's and JSP's it was on the paper out of the box. I was able to shoot 2" groups quickly with little fuss using the open sights. I tried some 270 grain Speer hunting loads and 180 grain Reminton JHPs. Both hit at least 4 INCHES higher than the 240's at 25 yards. After I slowed down a bit I was able to keep the 240's under an inch.

I will definitely take the time to fine tune with a hunting load before I head into the field. My S&W Mountain Gun has a backwoods partner!

Two questions:

How did you clean the barrel?

Was there any leading?

I looked at this very rifle a while ago, but decided that I didn't really need it. But I still want one! :)

Hueco

Back