Marlin 1894c vs rossi 92

Gulfcowboy

Hi there. I am looking for a new lever action in 357 mag. The two I've narrowed it down to two a new Marlin 1894c or a Rossi 92. I've heard that the new Marlins are made poorly, But I've also heard that Rossi can be the same. I'm leaning towards the Marlin because I like the option of being able to mount a scope easily. I also know that Rossi isn't really importing anymore 92, so if I want to get one I better jump on it. Does anybody have any experience with these rifles can give me any input I would much appreciate. I should also add with with either one I buy I will be sending it off to get slicked up by a cowboy action gunsmith.

I've had three Marlin 94's and one Rossi 92. I never kept a Marlin 94 for over a year. I've had the Rossi for over 10.

What was the reason for keeping the Rossi over the Marlins?

The Marlins were all .44 mag and all of them had jams. The Rossi is a 44-40 and it's never jammed. Plus I never really liked the fat forearm of the 94 or the side eject. If I'd had one that didn't jam every time it had an extended firing session I'd probably still have it.

I have had both. I still have the Marlins.
I too have had both and I still have my 2 Rossis I bought NIB in 2009 and slicked up using Steve's Gunz parts and DvD as a guide.

Yes, the Marlins are a bit smoother out of the box but the action / trigger job on the Rossis made them better than the Marlin. However, that's not why I don't like the Marlin. To me, it's their basic design with the thicker action and much thicker stock and forearm giving them a blocky feel to me.

The Rossis are patterned after the Winchester '92s with it's much slimmer and sleeker design making them feel better carrying, shouldering, and shooting to me. So, I'd suggest that the make sure and try out each one before you decide as you may or may not like the feel of one of them.

BTW, Bud's Guns has .357mag carbines in stock for $521 HERE.

Back