Marlin 1892

johnm1

I just couldn't resist. Originally intended to fire either the 32 rimfire (short or long) or the 32 Colt short or long this one comes with both firing pins as it was originally sold. A little beat up and someone has scrubbed the receiver trying to clean it up. So, not too much collector value. The wood is in nice shape though and the barrel is described as so-so with decent rifling. A lot of these old BP rifles have sewer pipes for barrels, so we will see. On gunbroker I pretty much buy from my local dealer though I have made a few purchases to people I didn't know. I was able to inspect the gun at his shop before I put in a bid. unfortunately I didn't bring my bore light and theirs was missing, so I didn't get to look at the bore. But his descriptions have always been generous from a buyers point of view and condition is always better than described.

I'll have to slug the bore and determine its condition. I reload but loading for the 32 Colt, long or short, is an expensive proposition. Depending on the bore and chamber size, it could be very simple or very complex. Although I'd rather leave it as chambered, if this one is going to be problematic I wouldn't be too adverse to rechambering it to 32 SW or SW Long. It isn't in true collector condition and I shoot what I own. I'm working out of town, so I won't pick it up until this weekend. Then the work starts.

Attachments

• 1892 Overall.jpg
    1892 Overall.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 1892 Right.jpg
    1892 Right.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 1892 Buttstock.jpg
    1892 Buttstock.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 104
A couple more pictures. Missing the front sight blade. Apparently a sliver of 'German Silver'. Stock shows some use:

Attachments

• 1892 Fore End.jpg
    1892 Fore End.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 1892 Grip.jpg
    1892 Grip.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 1892 Muzzle.jpg
    1892 Muzzle.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 82
It looks a lot like my M1893. Even the wood.

Mine is not a "collector" either, but she is definitely a shooter.

If it was me: I would already be looking for dies and ordering a mold. Again, if it was me.

I hope you have tons of fun with yours.

We are going to find out this weekend how much fun or how much work. Best case is the bore is sized for the available 32 Colt bullets. But the 32 Colts had quite a bit of variation that I have to measure both the bore and chamber before I buy anything.

I have not ruled out re-chambering to .32 S&W Long. It can be done if the bore diameter is on the larger size of the possible range. If it turns out the barrel is toast (I don't think it will) then we probably would re-chamber to the S&W Long cartridge. I'll know this weekend.

Well, to cut thru the crud, my 1893 is chambered 38-55 and is very large bore at 0.381". My special ordered mold throws 0.382" bullets. I honed and polished a 0.381" Lyman sizer to 0.382". I have accuracy beyond anything I could have hoped for out of this old and abused lever gun. I am so glad I didn't give up on it.

I will follow up Dufus. That's part of the fun.

I'll only rechamber if the barrel is worse than I think it is or the combination of components makes reloads almost impossible. I load for both 32 S&W and S&W Long. I know this is basically a 22 action and I dont need high performance out of this rifle. So far everything I read is that the factory 32 S&W Long is very close to the original rounds. I might even load the S&W Long with black k powder just to keep the pressure curve closer to original. That's all preliminary at this point as both cases and projectiles are available.

If I managed to find one of those, in that same, really nice but not collector condition, I'd rechamber it to .32 S&W Long in a heart beat.

My guess is that it's not capable of being rechambered to .32-20 due to dimensions...

Mike - that was my first thought but nostalgia keeps tugging at me to leave it as is. I'll measure it and see what I have first.

It is basically a 22 LR action with no locking lugs. The geometry of the lever blocks the bolt in the closed position. Just like the 22 version though the 32 version does increase the thickness of parts that hold the bolt closed by a couple of thousandths. This action cannot be hot rodded. 32-20 isn't possible.

Well, I spent several hours disassembling and cleaning today. I learned a lot. The tubular magazine is the most finicky part of the rifle. I have a little work to do on it. Feed and loading are remarkably simple. Also, there is no disconnect to prevent firing if the bolt is not all the way closed.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to save this barrel. It was dark with pretty strong rifling but I spent a couple of hours cleaning but all I was able to do was expose the full length pitting. Pin gauges indicates that the rifling is worn for the first 3/8" from the muzzle. I'm going to take it to my gunsmith tomorrow (he was sick today) and get a second opinion and an estimate for a re-line.

I know well that some pitted bores shoot lights out. It just depends. So, unless I can find some ammo here in Phoenix to test or I'm going to have to decide between the cost of a re-line to 32 S&W/Long or the cost of 32 Colt dies and components. I knew this was possible and I have no regrets. I'll know more tomorrow.

Last edited:
It sure is a neat rifle. But I'm going to call the barrel toast. The first 3/8" at the muzzle accepts a .303 pin gauge before stopping on the rifling. Same thing for the first 2" from the breach end. I slugged the barrel with a 58 caliber round ball and the tightest dimension is .314-.305. But I'm pretty sure those dimensions only exist from about 3/8" to 4" below the muzzle. Because after 4" I could push the slug the rest of the way with light hand pressure. There was a little more resistance 2 or so inches before the chamber. But not much.

Fortunately Numrich had a factory new 24" round barrel in stock. It is now on its way to me along with a couple of other parts. I suspect it will arrive short chambered but I really dont know or care. I'm not sure what a manufacturer would normally do with a replacement barrel with a rimmed cartridge. If it comes in finished for 32 Rf/CF it will remain so. If it needs to be finished it will be finished for 32 S&W/Long. Though lime Mike suggested he would do, it may just end up 32 S&W Long. Maybe likely.

I knew this was possible when I bought the rifle. So, still not disappointed.

I priced out components yesterday and as long as the new barrel arrives fully chambered for 32 colt, and I have reason to believe it will, I'm going to leave it as the colt cartridge. I realize the Smith will have to fit the barrel, but if they have to finish ream it I'm going to have them chamber it in 32 S&W Long. I really don't want anything to do with a search for a 32 colt reamer. I'm sure one exists somewhere.

Unfortunately the barrel is toast. I priced out relining and the cost would be approximately $350. Maybe a little high, I figure I could find it maybe for marginally cheaper. I found an NOS Barrel at Numrich and it arrived yesterday along with a new ejector. I dont know when Marlin stopped making parts but I suspect in 1916 making the barrel at least 102 years old. It looks like it came off the line yesterday. As best I can measure it, it appears to be fully chambered in 32 Colt. Rifling is gorgeous. I'll take it to my Smith this morning to see how much and how long.

I tried taking pictures but they were terrible.

The ejector that was in the rifle appeared to be home made. It is possible it was an older style original that had been worked on. It was just a sliver of metal that was slightly curved on the bottom. Apparently as the bolt moved backward the back part was pushed down and the front part would rise out of the ejector slot and eject the empty. For all I know it might have worked.

You are on the way to having a shooter on your hands, John. I hope it all works as you have planned.

You are on the way to having a shooter on your hands, John. I hope it all works as you have planned.
I am flat out pumped for this one. It will get used. I have a case on its way to check feed wth the possibility of needing more parts. Slug the barrel and do a chamber cast to verify the dies and bullets I need and this one will be in operating condition in a week or two.

Likely to remain as a 32 Colt Long.

Forgot to mention that the smith wasn’t busy this morning and swapped barrels while I waited. So, final measurements and order dies and components and it will be running.

The barrel swap went well. I had to fit the extractor slot to the extractor. So far it doesn’t extract the two cases I have that I’m using for fitting and measuring. It enters the slot far enough but doesn’t snap over the rim. I will likely have to replace the extractor.

It appears that the center fire pin has never been fitted and that is the next thing after I figure out the extractor. Last will be the final fit of the new ejector.

Bore slugged as .299/.3085 so I should be able to use common components. Chamber measures 0.319. It would have been an easy conversion to 32 S&W Long, but I chickened out at the last moment.

Back