Marlin 1892

hoistfixer

I have a Marlin Firearms Model 1892 lever action .32 caliber rifle that has inter-changable firing pins for both rim and center fire cartridges (ser #140012) and is in excellent condition.

Anyone with an idea of its monetary value?

Can anyone give me an idea of its manufactured date and its history?

It was my grandfathers and I believe it was his father's as well.

This outfit
http://www.armscollectors.com/sn/marlinlookup.php
says 1896.
History? The model was made from 1895 til 1916. Actually more common in .32 than .22.

Note that it is made for .32 rimfire long and .32 Long Colt depending on the firing pin, it will not handle .32 S&W or S&W Long.

I won't guess a dollar value, but if in truly NRA Excellent condition with both firing pins, it is a desirable piece.

Thanks

That is far more information than I've had.

This rifle is in excellent condition and I do have both firing pins in whats left of their original manilla envelope.

I'm not looking to sell it but do need to put a value to it for insurance purposes.

Thanks again...

I would ask my insurance agent if having the local FFL estimate the percentage of original finish and look it up in the current Blue Book would be an acceptable appraisal. You DO have a FFL that you give enough business that he will help you out, don't you?

An Internet Guess on value might not be accepted if you had to file a claim, even if you had paid premiums based on that guess. Insurance companies make money by collecting premiums, not by paying claims.
Professional appraisers charge for their services.

Personally, I think the money might be better spent on a sturdy safe than insurance premiums.

Back