Marlin 120

DrJW

Inactive
for over 20yrs I have used a Marlin 120 12ga with a 28in mod barrel for duck and pheasants. I bought the 28in barrel directly from Marlin in late 80's as it originally was handed down to me by an old uncle with a 36in full choke barrel. It has served well but my son has now taken over my Rem870 with a slug barrell. Thus, I need a slug barrel for my old Marlin 120. I have looked at several sources and no one seems to have such a slug barrell in stock. Any advise?

Obviously, you're not likely to locate a slug barrel for your Model 120 very easily. 243winxb's advice is a good one; certainly the most viable and inexpensive.

Before you spend more:

Try the gun you have with rifled slugs.

If the shotgun groups these close to point of aim with the existing fixed bead on a flat, ( o ), sight system at 50 yards you are good to go. Field shot guns with vent rib barrels provide an excellent sight picture.

When you conduct your range work, remember that different brands of slug rounds do not necessarily shoot to the same point of aim - rifled slug rounds are not a generic commodity. In addition, due to the relatively long barrel time shotguns exhibit, elevation can be adjusted by choosing slugs of different velocity ranges. With the same slug weight, slower velocity slugs generally have a higher point of impact than faster ones.

Back