marks on barrel lug

Shalom

After my last visit to the range I noticed lines at the join between the barrel's chamber and the lug under it. I can't "feel" any crack when I probe along the lines but it looks like more than a scratch or wear point.
The pistol is a Colt LW Commander with 5,000 rds thru it.Recoil springs were changed every 2,000 rds.
Does anyone know if the lug is an integral piece of the barrel or if its welded on ? Is there a history of this part "going " after 5,000 full duty rounds? What signs should I be on the lookout for?

[This message has been edited by Shalom (edited June 11, 2000).]

Shalom, the barrel is a single piece. The scratch you are seeing sounds to me like it may be coming from where the front of the ramp bridge meets the underside of the bbl. Your bbl link may be a hair long. I have never heard of the barrel "feet" failing on a 1911. George

I am not sure just where the lines are, but scoring out ahead of the barrel foot can be due to burrs on the slide at the bottom of the barrel tunnel at the front of the slide. If this seems the case, try disassembling the pistol and then working the barrel in the slide with the bushing, but without the spring or guide. You may be able to see what is marking it.

Jim

Back