Markov pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeper

Are these pistols a good deal or are they junk? I have a chance to get a NIB .380 for 149.99 but I am not sure about the quality. I know that you get what you pay for. I am not expecting great fit and finish but I don't want a pistol that will come apart at 1000 rounds.

Thank you.

The Makarov is not a weapon for a lady. The recoil spring is tight and requires strong wrist action to cycle a round into the chamber. I prefer the action over a PPK any day of the week and I have owned both back before children and private school tutition came into the picture. I would'nt trade the kids for any amount of guns

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

[This message has been edited by Will Beararms (edited October 21, 1999).]

I know of a gentleman who has put 5,800 rounds through a Russian Makarov with no malfunctions using Russian 9X18 ammo. I don't believe that there is a mechanism in place to prevent accidental discharge if the weapon is dropped on its hammer. Otherwise, they are a durable weapon.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

There are Makarovs and then there are Makarovs. They basic design is quite good and user friendly. The trigger pull on some is long and heavy; its long and smooth (and it seems light) on others.

The East German ones are considered the best -- most of them were made some years back by craftsmen who had pride in their work. These are very nice, slick guns. If you can find one, you'll probably have to pay around $200.00 for an EG model.

Some of the newer ones hitting the market are less well made. This seems true of the Bulgarian imports. Gun Tests, last month, tested several guns and their Bulgarian Makarov lost a decocker and firing pin spring after 25 shots.

The Mak has a pretty stout recoil, whether you're shooting 9mm Makarov or .380 rounds.

For a few bucks more, you could get a Kel-Tec P11 (with 10 rounds of 9mm), or a good quality used revolver or, perhaps, an auto.

I'll eventually find an East German Mak. Until then, I'll wait.

Also, check out WWW.MAKAROV.COM for all you ever wanted to know about the gun.

I have a 1962 East German Makarov and find it to be very nice and a great value at $189 (a while back). The fit and finish on mine is quite good, even the original blueing is still about 90%.

I don't think I'd characterize the recoil as "brutal" but rather, "sharp."

Some of the wide-mouthed hollowpoints will not function well without a little smoothing around the chamber opening (sound familiar?). Most people at the www.Makarov.com discussion board concurr that with it's design and rather small bullet, the Mak is better off using FMJ to get decent penetration and perfect functioning.

I'd reccommend exactly what I have, the standard capacity (8rnds), East German made, in 9x18 (you can buy the .380 barrel separately from Federal Arms).

Last thing, the hammer will not travel forward unless the trigger is pulled, both on and off safe (just tried it).

I have a Russian Mak in .380. One of the best cheap guns on the market. VERY reliable accuracy is as good as any other combat handgun. Trigger pull-stiff yes but I only paid $150 for it. I say buy one you will not regrett that you did.

Later
Daren

Have to agree the E. German guns are FAR superior in fit and finish. Bluing is thick, lustrous if overly dark. EG guns have fixed sights and were imported with ugly bakelite "target" grips.

Russian guns have unsopported chambers and shooting lead reloads will often result in bulged cases, even with light loads in .380.

The Mak is a fine shooting gun but recoil can seem "stout" compared to similar sizes guns made in the us and europe. The front sight is too fine for my tastes but its a really nice gun.

Hope it helps,

Dr.Rob

My Bulgarian shot about 1700 rounds w/o any malfunctions. Recoil is average with 95gr, brisk with 109gr and the sights are set for 95gr anyway. Pearce grips help considerably with recoil. Very accurate. Hard to rack. The gun I'd grab for a bug-out, though it is neither most powerful nor most comfortable nor does it use common ammo. But it works well for me. Magazines run $5 used to about $15 new. See pics of it at my site.

------------------
Cornered Rat
http://dd-b.net/RKBA RKBA posters
http://dd-b.net/olegv Portrait, nature photos

I have a Russian Makarov in .380. I have spent about 700 rounds in it so far without any problems or jams. It is good for the money but not near as good as the other more expensive autos on the market. I put pearce grips on mine and percieved recoil is far less than with the standard plastic ones. It is really a very mild gun now. The only thing I do not like on the gun is the sights. They are hard to see even in good lighting. martin6

I can't really add a whole lot to the above
comments, but I wanted to say that I REALLY
like this little pistol. The Makarov I own
is Russian, and I bought it almost 6 years
ago. Up until recently, it's been languish-
ing in my closet as my interest in shooting
waned. But now my interest in shooting has
waxed with a vengence and I'm shooting my
Makarov as much as my schedule allows. Ammo's cheap, and the gun shoots at least a
little better than I do...okay, a whole lot
better.

One thing, though, and this may be only
specific to me, but after 150-200 rounds, I can really feel the Makarov's effect on the web of my hand and in my wrist. Since I've never shot my other handguns as much as I'm shooting my Makarov (I'm too cheap to buy that much ammo for them), I don't know this
problem pertains only to the Makarov or not;
I suspect it's probably true of any pistol through which I'd fire 200 rounds.

If you get one, you'll enjoy it, I'm sure. My Makarov is in the 9x18 caliber, so I can't comment on the .380 Makarov. I will say, however, that the basic design is sound and the price is excellent, especially when com-
pared to other pistols on the market which sell for 2 or 3 times as much.

BTW, the correct way to pronounce Makarov is
mah-KAR-off, with the emphasis on the second
syllable. I learned this from my wife, who's
Russian.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

My Russian Makarov chambered for .380 was my first weapon four years ago. I have probably put about 2000 rounds through it with no major problems. When new it hated Remington UMC ammo. Now it loves JHP's. (Feed ramp was slightly massaged) I carried in Florida when I got my CCW permit. Very accurate. Recoil is sort of stout for that small of a round. I have Walnut grips and the Pearce grips for it. Both make the gun look and feel great! I paid $139.99 new. I'm glad I bought it.

I have a friend here with me who has owns a Mak and has a comment:

"Russian Army/Police forces/Communist Bloc nations have been using stock weapons for decades. It has 2/3 less parts of any other semi-auto. Well worth the money, but responds well to fine files, stoning, burnishing."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back