Markings on a Walther PP

redsmunkey

Inactive
I recently acquired a Walther PP, 7.65 mm, and am trying to narrow down the year of manufacture. I know it is a pre-war model, on the left side of the slide are the Walther logo, Waffenfabrik-Walther, Zelle-Mehlis(Thur), Walther's Patent, Cal. 7.65 m/m, PP. The right side of the slide and the barrel have what I am guessing is the crown over N proof mark. The serial number is 9862xx, and there is engraving on the front of the grip, R.F.V. 13244 W.

The gun is in good condition for its age, there is very little pitting on the slide and not much of the bluing has worn off. It does show signs of holster wear, the stamping on the slide is rubbed down some. It shoots very well, more accurate than I expected. I would like to try and find out when it was made just to satisfy my own curiousity.

Sometimes it's hard to pin down a manufacturing date for the WaltherPPs and PPKs. The factory had a habit of building frames now and finshing them later. However I believe your PP was made in 1930s, I believe very close to 1938 . The RFV stands for the Reichsfinazverwaltung ( Federal Finance Administration ). The number 13244W is their inventory number for your gun.

Back