Marinade for duck?

Dave R

I have some duck in the 'fridge (Mallard). Anybody have a good marinade or a good recipe?

My first attempt was a bust.

I'd sure like to get my family to enjoy eating duck.

I heard of a duck cooking method that is suposed to come out pretty good but have not tried it yet. In a dutch oven on low heat in the oven with rinsed sauwerkraut and brown suger. I bet if you cooked it long enough a fish duck would probably taste OK if done this way. A freind of mine says it even makes coot taste almost edible.

Best duck I ever ate was last week. A friend fixed mallards. put 1/2 an orange and a stalk of celery in the cavity. sprinkled well with Lowrys seasoning salt. Open pan, breast up in 550deg oven for 30 min.
Duck should be fairly rare for best taste.
This recipe will make a mess in the oven so here's a chance to treat your wife. You cook AND clean the oven.;)

A bottle of cheap wine (Thunderbird and Mad Dog actually work well, believe it or not, but you get strange looks at the store).

Some garlic, salt, pepper, onions, bay leaves, and any other spices you like.

Put in a stainless steel or glass container. Put in spices, pour wine over top, and add enough water to cover the bird.

Stick in the fridge overnight.

Next day drain, stuff the cavity very lightly with oranges, apples, and onions (you'll toss these after cooking), cover, and slow roast (no more than 300 deg.

Baste with some of the wine sauce, take cover off during last 20 minutes or so to get the skin brown. You can zap it with the broiler to brown.

I've done ducks, chicken, geese, etc. like this, and they turn out great.

Camping and cooking forum!

Ooohhhh I can't wait:D

Maybee Rich will share his recipe for Cape Buffalo Sauerbraten with us:D

Back