Manurhin MR37 'Sniper' Revolver

DMK

Ian from Forgotten Weapons just released a video on this interesting revolver. It's a 357 Magnum used by France's elite GIGN police force starting in the early 70's. They apparently had some strict requirements for this gun including accuracy and durability for a very high round count. They had a standard carry version along with this strange sniper version.

I had never heard of these before this, but I'm not familiar with French revolvers. I wonder if any of these ended up in the US?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1zEUGck8NE

The basic MR73's are certainly available in the US. They are usually available on gunbroker, gunsinternational.com, along with other various sources.

I've never seen the sniper model for sale. With enough money, I'd guess if you searched hard enough you'd be able to procure one. I wouldn't be surprised if the cost exceeded $5,000 for one in decent condition.

Holy crap. That's basically a near Korth revolver at near Korth price. I think I'll go be poor someplace else with my mere US made vintage revolvers. ;-)

The basic MR73's are certainly available in the US. They are usually available on gunbroker, gunsinternational.com, along with other various sources.
Interesting. There are a couple on there now. I guess they are not rare at all.

Holy crap. That's basically a near Korth revolver at near Korth price. I think I'll go be poor someplace else with my mere US made vintage revolvers. ;-)
No kidding. They kind of look to me like a "what if S&W made a heavy duty Python?", but they are nonetheless certainly priced out of my playing field.

Not something you'll find in every local gun shop, but I wouldn't exactly call them rare.

I've got a couple myself.

They are better than Korth in some ways.

Something I can't figure out about this is - - - why?

The thing is not a real compact piece of machinery. I would think a take down rifle would be both as easy to conceal and far more suited to the task.

Be prepared to dig deep for the sniper model, they were very specifically produced for the French GIGN, and command a significant premium.

The thing is not a real compact piece of machinery. I would think a take down rifle would be both as easy to conceal and far more suited to the task.

But they are an extremely compact piece of machinery! When compared to conventional sniper weaponry, they can be effectively employed in very tight quarters, and swiftly brought into action.

I'll have to take your word for it....

I'm at a loss trying to figure any scenario where it would be an advantage over a rifle.

Maybe if it was a more substantial caliber - but - a .357 magnum is still a pistol cartridge.
I'd think a bi-pod on something like a T/C - using a rifle caliber - and sporting a scope - would be hands down a better idea.

Well a 357 mag is going to have a lot less kinetic energy than centerfire rifle round, and one of the reason that GIGN pick the "sniper" version of MR73 was in case of a through and through shot on a perp the bullet would have a lot less kinetic energy than a rifle bullet.

Back