Manufactured Conversion Revolvers

YosemiteSam357

Does anyone here have any experience with either these Ubertis, or this Cimarron Richard-Mason conversion? Or this 1858 New Army, for that matter?

I've always had a thing for both of these styles, but have avoided the BP revolvers due to the bother, and the conversion cylinders due to their cost. This would be strictly a "fun" gun for me, as I'm not into CAS.

But I'd like to know if these are even shootable. How will the triggers compare to my stock Ruger single actions (Vaquero and Single Six)? Will they be "minute of pieplate" accurate out to 50 yards, if I am?

Is it possible to get parts and/or service for them? Or do they not need it?

Finally (for now ;)), who has the best prices?

Thanks in advance,

-- Sam

RichardsMason.jpg

I got this one from Buffaloarms.com and it is accurate. At 7 yards it will hold 2 inches shooting .45 Schofield. Mine is the Uberti (Aldo Uberti replica). I wouldn't want to run 3000 rounds thru one and expect it to hold up to a Ruger, it is after all basically a percussion pistol still. It is a fine looking gun though.

They are pricey, mine was around $450 but if you take a standard 1860 and had to cut the loading gate and pay for the conversion cylinder and ejector rod it would be more and not look as good. You really don't need a loading lever if you plan on shooting a bunch of cartridges.

I liked the 5 1/2 inch barrel. The gun seems to be made a little heavier than a standard BP pistol. The action is finely tuned.

I would recommend one to anybody who is looking for something a little different to shoot.

I think they're very cool

and after handling one at the shop the other day, I'd say they'd hold up just fine to standard pressure loads. The one I looked at was an 1851 .38 Special conversion - Uberti. Very nice.

I think these make a lot more sense than getting the conversion cylinders - unless you're wanting to avoid the paperwork...

Uberti Conversion

I went in a shop today,they had the Uberti Conversion in a 1860 model round barrel.Richard Mason model,I think it was the 45 long colt,it was 45 something. After cocking the hammer about 3 times it started tring to lock up. It felt like the cylinder bolt was not freeing the cylinder early enough.It would turn but it had a problem. I was very dissapointed because I just bought a 1858 Uberti from a dealer in Florida, its in the mail, I hope it is right. I have been waiting on the Richard's Transition model by Uberti to arrive in the states, they tell me it is coming and I had my mind set on one. I guess you can get a bad one in anything,there is new Cadillacs in the shop every day.

These guns were basically designed with CAS in mind. They will hold up fine so long as you stay with lighter loaded lead bullets. Shooting +Ps or a lot of jacketed bullets will shorten its life. Buying extra cylinders for these Italian copies is catch-as-catch-can. There is a lot of hand fitting of these and therefore an extra cylinder may not time right. If you can adjust timing, you can make them work, or if not, a gunsmith can.

Back