Manual safeties: p365 vs shield

TxFlyFish

The shield has imho one of the best manual safety designs. Discreet and well protected from accidental thumb flip, easy to disengage, and not in the way of the thumb fwd grip. How does the new p365 with manual safety compare? It seems easier to accidentally engage, might interfere with the grip, a bit flimsy? Any thoughts?

It seems easier to accidentally engage, might interfere with the grip, a bit flimsy? Any thoughts?
Get it without the manual safety... problem solved.
The p365 has a much longer trigger pull (compared to a Glock) which kinda negates the need for a manual safety IMO.

Jim

Last edited:
If it’s longer then I don’t mind. A safety if properly trained on can be carried in more ways than non safety, from a convenience point of view

They announced they are to start shipping a couple days ago, give it a week or two and swing into you LGS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it’s longer then I don’t mind. A safety if properly trained on can be carried in more ways than non safety, from a convenience point of view
???
That makes no sense. What difference if properly trained does adding another function that could be missed, forgotten, or slipped off of make in ways to carry. Other than not carrying around an empty gun. Which is worse than one with a human error prone manual safety.

It’s there for peace of mind and convenience and if it gets the person to carry their firearm then so be it, let them have a safety?? Is there something wrong with that?

Is there something wrong with that?
Nothing at all, their choice.
But it doesn't make any difference in how it's carried.
A safety if properly trained on can be carried in more ways than non safety,
Certainly doesn't open up more ways to carry. That's what doesn't make sense

Yea that’s what I was wondering as well, it looks bigger in pictures than in real life. It’s metal too which is nice.

As far as more options with safety, for short grab n go walks to mail box, it’s more peace of mind to stuff it with safety in your hoodie pocket

Exactly; and as to long trigger pull, my Kahr CM-9 has a LOOOOng trigger pull. The 365 is smooth, short reset, accurate and pleasant to shoot

As far as more options with safety, for short grab n go walks to mail box, it’s more peace of mind to stuff it with safety in your hoodie pocket
Still no difference manual safety or not. While I am assuming you mean without a proper pocket holster, a "short grab and go walk" wouldn't be any less safe with the long trigger pull, and no manual safety "if properly trained" to not have anything else in the pocket.
In either case the possibility of additional lint collecting in the gun, especially in a fleece hoodie pocket, would be the same. Except for the fact that lint could easily get into the workings of the safety on the gun with a manual safety. "Properly trained" means knowing pocket carry should always be done in a holster.

My Ruger LC9s has a long but very light and smooth DA. I'd love to see a revolver so gooo.
So light I do use the safety, even though they sold the Pro without one. Fortunately the lever is enough more prominent than the 365's to work.

for short grab n go walks to mail box, it’s more peace of mind to stuff it with safety in your hoodie pocket

So you buy a pocket holster or just grab the $20 SIG ambi IWB/OWB kydex holster and put it in the hoodie pocket. Personally, I don't fret about walking to my mailbox.

Still no difference manual safety or not. While I am assuming you mean without a proper pocket holster, a "short grab and go walk" wouldn't be any less safe with the long trigger pull, and no manual safety "if properly trained" to not have anything else in the pocket.
In either case the possibility of additional lint collecting in the gun, especially in a fleece hoodie pocket, would be the same. Except for the fact that lint could easily get into the workings of the safety on the gun with a manual safety. "Properly trained" means knowing pocket carry should always be done in a holster.
How many times has lint disabled a manual safety on the way to the mailbox? We get it the safety is your finger, between your eyes, your brains etc but please read the op next time

I don't like manual safeties on carry guns. They insert an extra step when engaged. As the OP acknowledged, they can sometimes be engaged accidentally.

Defensive encounters can be messy. They can be fast and surprising. They can involve radically aggressive people or animals right on top of you. They can mean being in a difficult position. They can mean being injured or physically compromised before you even realize what's happening. That extra step could mean a delay or dead end in your defense, regardless of training.

This thread seems to be following a predictable pattern.

Q: How does the manual safety on Model A compare to the manual safety on Model B?

A: Safeties are unnecessary and will get you killed.

I'll be curious to see what it's like also. The normal ones suddenly aren't that hard to find anymore, so it probably won't be hard to find one with a safety to manipulate in a store. Let us know what you find out!

Visually the safety looks a little more pronounced on the P365 than it does on the Shield but it may not be in real life. I agree that the Shield safety is really well designed given the type of gun it is. I do have handguns without safeties and I am fine with them but they are DAO or DA/SA. Striker...I want a safety.

I have a shield with a safety. The only issue I have with it is remembering if the safety is on when it is up or down. I know from using it that up is on but if someone unfamiliar with guns picked it up, they wouldn’t know if it’s ready to go or they need to slide it down. I lightly drilled a little divot and put some red paint to show that it is “hot.”

Back