Manton

karms

Inactive
I've been looking all over the internet trying to figure out what type of gun this is. Is it real or fake? I only see a few markings. On the left and right side of the shotgun it shows, "MANTON". On the top, between the barrels it shows in Old English Script "Real Twist". Or at least I think thats what is written. Can anybody help with information and references.

Thanks

Attachments

• Double Barrel Shotgun.JPG
    Double Barrel Shotgun.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Left side Manton.JPG
    Left side Manton.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Right side Manton.JPG
    Right side Manton.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 51
three more photos

Does this say "Real Twist"?

Attachments

• Real Twist.JPG
    Real Twist.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Push Rod.JPG
    Push Rod.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Top View Hammers.JPG
    Top View Hammers.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 51
last two photos

I don't see any other markings, stamps, serial numbers, letters or what have you. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Belly.JPG
    Belly.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Under Stock.JPG
    Under Stock.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 37
If you take the barrels off and get some photos of the proofs on the bottom of the barrels we should be able to tell you more about it.

Manton Shotgun

Joseph Manton, London, 1760-1835. Manufacturer of rifled shoulder arms, double rifles and shotguns.

Better photos and some of the bottom of the barrels and action water table would help.

Don't shoot it. The barrels are damascus and modern powder, or any powder, actually, could damage the gun. Value is in originality.

Remove Barrel

I don't know how to remove the barrels on this muzzle loader. Any help on this? Thanks

Remove the ramrod, tap out the wedge in the stock, cock the hammers and pivot the barrels upwards away from the stock.

Sorry, but I don't think Mr. Manton ever saw that gun, or that it was ever anywhere near England.

Jim

Back